Cigar Storage

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

would you recommend taking the cigar out of the wrapper?
That is a much debated issue in the cigar world. I don't, but some swear by removing them. But, those wrappers are exactly air tight, so I don't think it matters much. I just wouldn't want a cigar infected with mold actually touching wrappers of other sticks.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I’ve removed the cellophane from my cigars for the last thirty years before putting them in my humidors. Years ago, cigars usually came in boxes without cellophane. The individual cellophane is a more recent development in the last decade or two, that I believe has to do with the sale of individual cigars in shops so that customers don’t end up contaminating every cigar in a box with their bare (and possibly filthy) hands.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
If t
That is a much debated issue in the cigar world. I don't, but some swear by removing them. But, those wrappers are exactly air tight, so I don't think it matters much. I just wouldn't want a cigar infected with mold actually touching wrappers of other sticks.
if they’re airtight then the humidor isn’t going to age them.
There's something magical about pulling a cigar from yellowed cellophane.
I agree, but only from the cigar store

Reactions: rsshreck32
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would recommend doing whatever you wish, it won't make a discernible difference. If you plan to take the cigar out and transport it somewhere, leave the cellophane wrapper on to protect the cigar. If you're aging a large number of cigars in a proper humidor, there is likely a slight benefit to removing the wrapper. Again, the vast majority of people would never know the difference after 5 years.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I leave it in just as a layer of protection as to not damage the cigar wrapper. It will still breath through it. If you have multi cigars I think it has a chance of slowing beatles down and maybe you catch it before the whole stash is wiped.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The cellophane wrappers aren't sealed, and are permeable so yes, the humidor's humidity will affect them, albeit a little more gradually.

Good article here:

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
I tend to take the cellophane off when I store my cigars long term. I believe all of my Cuban cigars came without cellophane, for whatever that info is worth.

I do keep a a dozen or so still wrapped to help protect them if I anticipate I might carry them with me to a cookout or vacation.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
When I smoked cigars I was a cellophane on kind of guy. As stated, I doubt it makes a difference aside from protecting the wrapper from handling

zedman05

Lurker
Jan 21, 2017
Alberta
Cello is breathable. As much as it seems like a “plastic” or a membrane which doesn’t allow air or moisture in, it will. Not at a very high rate, but it will.
If you have a couple in a jar, with a boveda, that will help keep any moisture from directly contacting the cigar. If the boveda isnt touching, then taking it out of the cello will help age it faster. Stronger, “harsher” cigars can get better with a year or two and become better, if you are not a fan of strength. Just remember; if you don’t like it now, but you bought a few, just keep them and try again in a year.