PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I have a humidor full of cigars. I enjoy both. It's environmental for me. I've said the difference between cigars and pipes is commitment. When you're done smoking a cigar you're left with nothing but ash. When you're done smoking a pipe you still have the pipe. If you like that pipe enough it will still be with you for life.

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
I have reread this thread and surprisingly I find that no one, not even myself mentions the inconsistency of cigars, even high-end cigars. Pipe tobacco is very consistent in the flavor a blend offers. Cigars on the other hand can be very inconsistent, even within the same box or five pack, etc. That can be a bummer when your paying the price of a tin of pipe tobacco or more for one cigar! If you've been smoking cigars for a while, you know what I am talking about. That's another reason for delving into the pipe!

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
This is my first time posting on this form, I have smoked cigars for several years and a few months ago on a whim I bought a pipe and some tobacco. Five months later, I have an impressive collection of estate pipes and have tried many blends of tobacco to see what I'd like I am shocked that I no longer have any interest in cigars. I have over 50 in my humidor and haven't touched one in over a month. I'm sure I will get back to it because I can't let those premium cigars go unsmoked. But, I have found the hobby and lifestyle of pipe smoking suits my temperament, much better. I never thought I would lose interest in cigars but there you have it. I'm wondering if anybody else has had this experience?
Same here, it’s been a few years but once I started on pipes it’s approximately a 95%-5% ratio of pipes vs cigars.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I have reread this thread and surprisingly I find that no one, not even myself mentions the inconsistency of cigars, even high-end cigars. Pipe tobacco is very consistent in the flavor a blend offers. Cigars on the other hand can be very inconsistent, even within the same box or five pack, etc. That can be a bummer when your paying the price of a tin of pipe tobacco or more for one cigar! If you've been smoking cigars for a while, you know what I am talking about. That's another reason for delving into the pipe!
I'll smoke a cigar a couple of times a year. Far prefer pipes. I do find cigars to be inconsistent in their structure which turns me off not to mention cost.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I've always loved a good cigar. I avoided trying pipe smoking in earnest because of all the work involved. I was part of an pipe and cigar group online and kept seeing everyone talk about how good pipe smoking was and how you could 15-20 bowls of tobacco from a $10 tin of tobacco vs $10-$20 for one good cigar. I bought a cob and a few tins and never looked back. I still enjoy cigars but don't keep a humidor anymore. I smoke a pipe in the house but wouldn't smoke Cigars inside. I think that may have been a big factor in making the switch to a predominant pipe smoker.