PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scully

Lurker
Jan 11, 2023
Calgary Alberta
Howdy Folks; Greetings from balmy Calgary Alberta.
I acquired a batch of pipes about a year ago (about the same time I joined the forum), and they were in 'original' condition, so I decided I'd start to clean, repair and/or restore them. I've smoked a pipe for over 40 years, so I have a very rough idea about most brands. However this one has left me scratching my head.
When I was younger (I'm 68), I remember seeing tins of City Club tobacco, however I can't find 'Squat' on any pipes that were associated with either the tobacco retailer or any manufacturer. the pipe smokes really well (after I pulled the stinger), and it's got a threaded stem/shank connection, which has pros and cons, but nothing insurmountable. However, I'm wondering if any of our keepers of our pipe history have any idea of this particular brand's history...
I'm purely perplexed... I've searched all over the web.... and 'NADA'... no info,....no where. So, any inkling would be humbly appreciated with all thanks.

Your Humble Servant (sometimes)
Scully McGhee

Reactions: Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I saw a listing where a can sold, and the manufacturer was stated as "Burley Tobacco Company". It also sold in auction more than once with a can of "Stag". Possible they made both. Maybe that can get the ball rolling for you.

Scully

Lurker
Jan 11, 2023
Calgary Alberta
Thank you sir..... The're located in Louisville, Kentucky, or at least they used to be. I'll do some more poking around and see if I can stir something up. Thanks again.

cheers,
Scully

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Scully, I was thinking of a GBD sub-line, but that was "City deLuxe". Are there any other markings, at all? "City", in Pipeworld, almost always means London.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
"Imported Briar" means "Made in USA" and post-war. Maybe the City is New York! That's as far as my detection skills go. Someone here has the answer, though.

That's an impressive hunk of briar, too!