PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
My brother recently bought a meerschaum pipe and he said the B&M who sold it to him told him to wipe it out with a "wet paper towel" after each smoke. I'm pretty sure they meant "dry" paper towel because I don't think you want to get the meerschaum damp.... am I wrong? What is the proper way to clean a meerschaum after a smoke?

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I use a dry paper towel because that's all it needs. It doesn't NEED a wet one, but a wet one won't hurt it either.

If dampness was so bad for meer, they wouldn't make smoking pipes out of them—the moisture from the tobacco would kill them faster than a damp paper towel.

I don't wipe mine immediately after a smoke, but I wipe it immediately before the next smoke. I've never felt the need to do any deeper cleaning of the chamber than a dry paper towel. No cake build up. However, I also don't smoke tobaccos that might ghost them.

And for what it's worth, @Chasing Embers recently deep-cleaned one with an alcohol soak, proving pretty unequivocally that you're not going to melt or ruin a meer with cleaning.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Why do you think such? I've smoked mine in the rain, wiped them with a soggy towel and so forth. It's natural environment is pretty damp. :sher:
IDK, I guess because I believe(d) that carvers wet the meerschaum in order to soften it and carve it...? Is that not the case?

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I use a dry paper towel because that's all it needs. It doesn't NEED a wet one, but a wet one won't hurt it either.

If dampness was so bad for meer, they wouldn't make smoking pipes out of them—the moisture from the tobacco would kill them faster than a damp paper towel.

I don't wipe mine immediately after a smoke, but I wipe it immediately before the next smoke. I've never felt the need to do any deeper cleaning of the chamber than a dry paper towel. No cake build up. However, I also don't smoke tobaccos that might ghost them.

And for what it's worth, @Chasing Embers recently deep-cleaned one with an alcohol soak, proving pretty unequivocally that you're not going to melt or ruin a meer with cleaning.
Good point about the moisture from the tobacco!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

Funny enough, he also proved you won't hurt a meer by NOT cleaning it as well!!! 😂

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My brother recently bought a meerschaum pipe and he said the B&M who sold it to him told him to wipe it out with a "wet paper towel" after each smoke. I'm pretty sure they meant "dry" paper towel because I don't think you want to get the meerschaum damp.... am I wrong? What is the proper way to clean a meerschaum after a smoke?
I run hot water down the chamber and out the stem. The clerk at the store was right.

Reactions: sittingbear

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
IDK, I guess because I believe(d) that carvers wet the meerschaum in order to soften it and carve it...? Is that not the case?
I mean, immediately after smoking, it can be softer, I have small dimples and scrapes to prove it where I was a little clumsy a few times with the pick, but it's not going to be like a "hot knife through butter" situation.

PXL_20231127_040754502.jpgPXL_20231127_040900602.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sittingbear
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
When I acquire a meerschaum from a secondary site (ebay), that's been previously smoked, I use a little water on bristle and regular pipe cleaners to run down the shank until the cleaners come out clean. I then use saliva on a paper towel to clean charring off the rim, and to clean the bowl. Water would be fine, but I think saliva works better. You don't need to put water or saliva on a paper towel after each smoke, as a dry paper towel works fine. Most of the time I just use a pipe cleaner after I smoke one of my meers, and use the paper towels when I do a deep cleaning.