PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
Hiking-IMG_6115.pngI am a burleyphile, meaning that, while I am fond of other blend types - such as VaPers - burley blends are my go-to smoke. If I would like a pipe, but do not have a clear idea of what I would like to smoke, I will smoke a burley blend. While some tobaccos are better suited to certain seasons or climates, such as virginias in summer heat and latakia mixtures in the cold of winter, burleys will rise to any occasion.

It is for this reason that I purchased Cobblestone Outdoors: Hiking. There is not much buzz for this blend; there are only 4 reviews on tobaccoreviews and 4 on smokingpipes, and while these reviews are generally positive, there are disagreements as to how to characterise Hiking. What are its constituent tobaccos? Does it have a topping? How consistent is the blend between bowls?

There's another question which is not asked, but which I think is rather pertinent: who makes Cobblestone tobacco? Tobaccoreviews will tell you that Sutliff blends and manufactures Cobblestone Outdoors: Hiking, along with all other Cobblestone products, and does so in the US. But this is wrong. Sutliff blends and manufactures Cobblestone's aromatic and plug lines in the US, but Kolhase & Kopp blends and manufactures Cobblestone's Outdoors and Chess series in Germany. Sutliff is merely the distributor for the latter (this was confirmed to me by a smokingpipes.com representative). This may be information enough to prick the ears of some pipe smokers. After all, European burley blends can be quite different from their American counterparts.

The tin note is quite typical for what I would call a European burley blend. There is an enticing aroma of cocoa, raisins, and sweet bread, such as brioche, but this aroma smells natural and quite light, as opposed to cloying and synthetic. Some reviewers have said that they detect chocolate, and that this indicates a chocolate topping of some kind. I do not detect this myself. To me, the blend simply smells like good burley.

This is confirmed in the smoke. The tasting notes I get from Hiking are of a deep, rich burley flavour. I get notes of cocoa, nuts, some mild spice, such as nutmeg or cinnamon, and a general savouriness that remains consistent through the smoke. There is also a hint of barbecue and campfire, which some attribute to the addition of dark fired kentucky in the blend. I am skeptical of this claim, however, as the constituent burleys used in European burley blends can often possess a spiciness and smokiness of their own - take for example the Malawi burleys used by Peterson, G&H, and HU Tobacco. Some also claim a sweetness in the blend that they attribute to the addition of virginia leaf. I do not detect this either. I would not call Hiking a sweet smoke. For me, and as mentioned, it leans much more towards the savoury end of the flavour spectrum.
On the retrohale, I get notes of black pepper, wood, and earth, in a manner that is almost cigarlike. These flavours are pleasant and do not overwhelm or irritate the nasal cavity.

Hiking is quite a different animal from many US burley blends on the market right now. Unlike in C&D burleys, Hiking does not possess the astringent, cigarette-like flavour commonly associated with this varietal. It is a very smooth smoke, and will only become acrid if really pushed. The blend does not need to be sipped or nursed to maintain its flavour.

Hiking provides a consistent burley flavour for the duration of the smoke. It is not a blend bursting with nuance, but this is to be expected from a blend whose sole component (at least to my mind) is burley. Some may find this monotonous, but burleyphiles will likely find it highly enjoyable.

I would certainly call this an all-day smoke if burley is your pipe tobacco of choice. If you like Mac Baren's HH Burley Flake, or Solani's Aged Burley Flake, I would recommend picking up a tin of this to try, especially given how often the latter is out of stock.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This blend could be in my future. I'm a burley devotee. I actually like C&D use of burley as a base or condiment, and in English blends. I also like Peterson 3-D and Irish Flake, the Semois medium and thick cuts, as well as SWR and SWR Aro, Granger, and others. I liked the now discontinued Nat Sherman 536 English blend, one of the most refined English blends with burley. I like other genres -- Virginia, Va/Per, Balkan, non-Burley English, Oriental and so on, but burley is a go-to leaf for all seasons.

Reactions: highwindows

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Sutliff blends and manufactures Cobblestone's aromatic and plug lines in the US, but Kolhase & Kopp blends and manufactures Cobblestone's Outdoors and Chess series in Germany. Sutliff is merely the distributor for the latter (this was confirmed to me by a smokingpipes.com representative).
I didn't know that Sutliff had the equipment to press plugs. I've always wanted to do the tour they give of their plant during the pipe show back there, but that is the other side of the country for me! This means they may make their 507c Virginia Slices in house; I'd always thought/heard they had someone in Europe make it for them.

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
I didn't know that Sutliff had the equipment to press plugs. I've always wanted to do the tour they give of their plant during the pipe show back there, but that is the other side of the country for me! This means they may make their 507c Virginia Slices in house; I'd always thought/heard they had someone in Europe make it for them.
From what I've seen on video reviews the Cobblestone Plugs aren't really plugs, despite being called plugs. They're more like desely pressed crumble cakes.

Reactions: romaso

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
I would enjoy more burleys, if their were more options that weren't cased or flavored. I know that they have to case it with something, but why can't they find casings with less added flavors?
Have you tried Hiking? It is worlds apart from something like Mac Baren Burley blend, which is drenched in sweet chocolate flavouring. Hiking obviously will be cased with something, for humectant purposes at the very least, but I did not detect much of a sweetness in the smoke at all. Whatever K&K used, it is very subtle to my palate.
Another option, despite the difficulties in obtaining it, is HU Dockworker. It's a burley flake with a touch of Orientals added, which adds a slight mustiness to the smoke. I enjoy it quite a bit, and the flavour is a very dark, natural burley with a hint of spice (which I attribute to the addition of Malawi burleys in the blend).

Have you tried Hiking? It is worlds apart from something like Mac Baren Burley blend, which is drenched in sweet chocolate flavouring. Hiking obviously will be cased with something, for humectant purposes at the very least, but I did not detect much of a sweetness in the smoke at all. Whatever K&K used, it is very subtle to my palate.
Another option, despite the difficulties in obtaining it, is HU Dockworker. It's a burley flake with a touch of Orientals added, which adds a slight mustiness to the smoke. I enjoy it quite a bit, and the flavour is a very dark, natural burley with a hint of spice (which I attribute to the addition of Malawi burleys in the blend).
Thanks, I may have to give it a try.

Reactions: highwindows

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Good review. I get coffee and a mild cigar vibe which sits on par with the cocoa throughout the bowl. I do feel some of the chocolate notes come from a topping. For the first third of the smoke I also picked up a rich stewed fruit sour thing, kinda reminded of rhubarb as opposed to stone fruit.

I no longer buy burley, but if I did, this one would happily be my regular smoke.

@cosmicfolklore the tin note upon opening is the same as pulling wet leaf out of the kiln. Very strong fermentation smell. I let mine breathe for a fortnight before smoking it.

What was interesting however is we had some very high humidity come through with a storm when I had about a third of the tin left (I was smoking it exclusively for a fortnight). I think this blend sucked up the extra moisture in the air, and it went flat. Like horribly boring. Zero of the above mentioned flavour, zero sourness, and only the occasional spice I get from air cured Kentucky. 100% user error of course, but it did alarm me how quickly it went south. I’ve never experienced that before with a blend