PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
When I first got into pipe smoking my wife made the mistake of gifting me Richard Hacker's "The Ultimate Pipe Book". In the resources section of the book there was a listing for The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris, which I signed up for. A scan of the cover of the first issue that I received is below along with an article from that issue which was written by Mike McCain that went into detail on the "Drip Wax" pipe finish. It served as a guide for my first emphasis in pipe collecting. I was eventually able to find examples of all but one of the pipes in the article (including the Castello Epoca shingles and broken rock styles) with only the Amorelli eluding me. I've included photos of a couple that are not seen very often, one a JT Cooke with flat drips and the other a Gasparini M.G.M. with the drips going upwards.

Since the date of Mike's article there are other carvers that can be added to the list (Ardor, Chris Askwith, Alberto Bonfiglioli, Walt Cannoy, Tony Fillenwarth, Paul Larrysson Hubartt). Any others that you know of that could be added to the list, even if, like Amorelli, they only made one?

IMG_9442.jpgIMG_9448.jpg

Attachments

• Drip Wax PSE April 1994.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 9

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a great index of carving talent to pull off a good wax drip pipe. For some entirely subjective reason, I don't want one to smoke, but the carving expertise required is undeniable, and I love to see them when they're posted or online. There are some beauties here ... I like the wax drip done in metal!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Mike McCain was a good friend who left us far to soon. I really miss him. RIP
His combined collection with Mike Davis inspired my collection

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
Mike McCain was a good friend who left us far to soon. I really miss him. RIP
His combined collection with Mike Davis inspired my collection
Agreed, a real gentleman and very knowledgeable. He was generous with his time when I was starting out. I also picked up a few nice, unusual drip wax pipes from him. We were able to meet at one of the Chicago shows in the late 90s.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Another wax drip collector who had a very early web page devoted to his collection was Mike Penix. He had a great collection. I looked for Mikespiperack on The Wayback Machine but couldn’t locate it.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN