PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I recently got a derry line peterson 05 "calabash" shape.

It gurgles like nobody's business. Thankfully its a military shank so i can just remove the stem every 5min and blow out the juice; but then i end up obsessively fiddling with getting the full bent stem aligned straight again.

I have several system standard pipes (petes and savs) and this one seems drilled the same except that the shank drilling stopped short of creating a substantial enough "juice pit" below the bowl's airhole.

Do you think if i find the appropriately sized bit and drilled it a little deeper into the shank (passing the airhole), that it would improve the gurgle?

*Ive smoked for over a decade in dozens of pipes, all sorts of tobaccos, all levels of dry/moist, all types of tobacco,all sorts of modified cadences...... Thanks for the rest of your suggestions but, Trust me.. This bitch is slurpy. 😆

Attachments

• IMG_20231129_193546.jpg
    IMG_20231129_193546.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231129_193445.jpg
    IMG_20231129_193445.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 8

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Yes and no. Yes, Peterson used to drill almost every pipe like System pipe to a degree. Draught was even on the side. But stem wasn't be like the System stem. It didn't go in deep enough to bypass the draught hole most of the time, and the stem wasn't drilled in a way that it widens towards the bottom. So, just drilling the pipe really won't make it like a System pipe. You'll also need to make sure stem is drilled properly, and has some type of "condenser" to make all the moisture to form into water and drop into the water trap.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
“Charles Peterson's System pipe is comprised of three parts: An army mount, an internal reservoir to collect moisture from the smoke (patented 1890), and the graduated bore P-Lip mouthpiece (patented 1894 and 1898).”

Per: The Peterson System Pipe | Smokingpipes.com - https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/the-complete-guide-the-peterson-system-pipe-startling-revelations-about-charles-petersons-greatest-invention#:~:text=Charles%20Peterson's%20System%20pipe%20is,(patented%201894%20and%201898).

You have the army mount and can drill the internal reservoir deeper to get 2/3 of the way there. I’d say you can get as close as 2.5/3 by drilling your stems to have a graduated draft hole. But you’ll need a new stem if you want all 3 parts of the system which includes the p-lip.

Funny enough l, the chimney/condenser that the tenon-end of the stem is not listed as being necessarily part of the system.

• Love
Reactions: nathaniel

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I have done it successfully before, hold the drill bit in your hand and turn it in your hand, you will be amazed how easy it is, just don't go to far, be very careful not to damage the collar.

• Love
Reactions: nathaniel
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Funny enough l, the chimney/condenser that the tenon-end of the stem is not listed as being necessarily part of the system.
System Spigots and System Standards don't have condensers, only deluxe and premiere had removable condensers. Some early "Deluxe" pipes had no condenser, and for a period in the 1980's no Peterson pipes had condensers.

I recently got a derry line peterson 05 "calabash" shape.

It gurgles like nobody's business. Thankfully its a military shank so i can just remove the stem every 5min and blow out the juice; but then i end up obsessively fiddling with getting the full bent stem aligned straight again.

I have several system standard pipes (petes and savs) and this one seems drilled the same except that the shank drilling stopped short of creating a substantial enough "juice pit" below the bowl's airhole.

Do you think if i find the appropriately sized bit and drilled it a little deeper into the shank (passing the airhole), that it would improve the gurgle?

*Ive smoked for over a decade in dozens of pipes, all sorts of tobaccos, all levels of dry/moist, all types of tobacco,all sorts of modified cadences...... Thanks for the rest of your suggestions but, Trust me.. This bitch is slurpy. 😆
Simply drilling a well won't entirely fix the problem. You'll need to taper the stem bore and funnel the tenon as well to get it to fully smoke like a system. None of this is difficult to do if you have the right tools. I drill the wells by hand with a bit chucked up in a drill chuck. I use tapered reamers and countersinks on the bit. Enlarging the draft hole could potentially help as well.