Did Barling ever do silverwork for other pipe companies?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mycroftholmes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2018
Did Barling ever do silverwork for other pipe companies? I have a pipe stamped only with the name of a tobacconist ("DURANDO LIVERPOOL") but with a silver band stamped: "E.B. W.B"

Reactions: Bowlsmoker67

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Barling did do silverwork for other companies, though in this case what you have is a Barling made pipe, stamped with the name of one of its distributors. Barling frequently stamped the name of the tobacconist on their pipes. Durandu was one such. In the first decade of the 20th century Barling often stamped the tobacconist's name in place of their own. Later they applied both stamps.
As for work for other manufacturers, Barling did all of BBB's silverwork unitl the mid 1880's.

PS How about some pictures?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
mycroftholmes, about 14 months ago I did a very brief write-up on Durandu for some friends which I think might be interesting to share here. The family was apparently French Huguenot in origin and came over to England in the early part of the 18th century, settling in London. At that time the surname was spelled Durandeau (over the generations it was spelled many ways as the family grew and spread throughout the UK). About a century later, Henry Philip Durandeau (1830-1910) was born to John Edward Durandeau (1803-1861). In his younger years Henry was a broker in bullion, like his father before him, but by the time of the 1871 census was also listed as a tobacconist. A decade later the census of 1881 lists Henry as a cigar merchant (by implication having left the bullion brokerage business behind), and this description remained in effect for almost thirty years until the time of his death in 1910. Henry had moved north and west to Liverpool by 1851, but despite that must have maintained ties to London since he returned there to marry Charlotte Elizabeth Luff (a native of Baltimore, oddly enough) in 1855. Henry and Charlotte had three sons and three daughters who survived to maturity. Of the sons, one was a barrister and another a provisions merchant; the last, Henry Martin Boothby Durandeau (1858—1936) went into the tobacco business with his father and took over after his death in 1910. From what I can tell the daughters were unmarried and largely uninvolved in the family business.

When Henry Martin died in his turn in 1936 he was survived by a wife and two daughters. Based on the 1939 census substitute apparently none of the three was involved in the business suggesting to me that it may have been sold in the settling of Henry Martin’s estate; whether it was sold or not, however, the shop continued to exist at the same location and under the same name (H Durandu) for decades, at the very least through 1972.

So this is a quick and dirty look at the Durandu family and the business which bought and sold your Barling. The shop was, by the way, located at various addresses on Dale Street in Liverpool for over 75 years.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
FWIW, know that Saddlebrush and Mr. Jguss (the "J" is silent) both entertain themselves by completely making shit up stream-of consciousness style, and have an ongoing contest to see who can pack the most plausible-sounding silliness into a post in the least amount of time. (the metric is complicated, but basically works.)

Mr. Guss is presently in the lead. Meaning at the next quarterly checkpoint, Saddlebrush will owe him a bottle of good Scotch and a cutter top tin of Escudo. They get together semi-annually to consume the winnings and laugh their asses off by re-reading printouts of their comments.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
FWIW, know that Saddlebrush and Mr. Jguss (the "J" is silent) both entertain themselves by completely making shit up stream-of consciousness style, and have an ongoing contest to see who can pack the most plausible-sounding silliness into a post in the least amount of time. (the metric is complicated, but basically works.)

Mr. Guss is presently in the lead. Meaning at the next quarterly checkpoint, Saddlebrush will owe him a bottle of good Scotch and a cutter top tin of Escudo. They get together semi-annually to consume the winnings and laugh their asses off by re-reading printouts of their comments.
When I get that old I want to play too.

?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
…Mr. Jguss (the "J" is silent)

Actually all the letters are silent; ironically I am not.

both entertain themselves by completely making shit up stream-of consciousness style

Jesse and I are actually conduits for voices from beyond the grave. It may well be that the information we receive is made up shit, but we didn’t do the making.

and have an ongoing contest to see who can pack the most plausible-sounding silliness into a post in the least amount of time. (the metric is complicated, but basically works.)

Mock the spirits at your peril.

Mr. Guss is presently in the lead. Meaning at the next quarterly checkpoint, Saddlebrush will owe him a bottle of good Scotch and a cutter top tin of Escudo.

Last time I won the bottle of good Scotch turned out to be a half-empty bottle of Night Train and the cutter top of Escudo turned out to be a badly dented tin of Holly’s Non Plus Ultra.

• Haha
Reactions: weezell

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I tried to take some clear photos but the nomenclature has been buffed to death.
You can just make out the "......FIT" and "LONDON" beneath that
The EB over WB is pretty clear on the ferrule.image.jpgimage.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Jguss told me once that the EBWB stands for "E. B. White's Brother"

He also told me that the little mashy-sparkly stamps next to it was because the shop guy who banded pipes at Barling was tripping on LSD all the time...

And I believed him. For almost 20 years, I believed him.

Then I recognized him in a movie and everything made sense:

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 1.45.53 AM.png