PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I have several Czech tools, but seldom employ them. I don't know exactly why this is so.
When I started with the pipe I simply used the bolstered end of my trusty Schrade Old Timer pocket knife until my employer banned pocket knives. I then started using a spent rifle cartridge (.30-06 is a nice size) however that raised the suspicions of gentler people so while pruning a grapevine in the back yard I lopped off 3 inches of cane between two "knuckles" and that immediately became my favorite tamper. I've added another tamper of apricot since but that one was quickly mis-placed.

What's your tamper situation like?

Last edited by a moderator:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I had this exact tamper. It was my favorite but I lost it and cannot find another. I am still sad.
tampers_7.jpg

scout19d3

Can't Leave
Jul 6, 2021
Katy, TX USA
fingers, thumbs, twigs, nails, empty cartridge shells, AA battery (not recommended), or any other handy item. I keep one of these at each of my smoking stations though... a Rattray's Bone Tamper with a removable pick
I acquired several of these on special (1x free with each purchase of a Rattray's pipe) and seem to prefer the balance, weight, and feel

1640902555133.png