PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

methomp

Lurker
Sep 22, 2016
I am stocking up on tobacco. It's mostly a combination of English blends and VaPers, but I occasionally enjoy an aromatic blend, like Autumn Evening. I would like to buy it by the pound, but I am concerned about how long it will keep and what the effect of aging an aromatic blend would be. Thanks All

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I am stocking up on tobacco. It's mostly a combination of English blends and VaPers, but I occasionally enjoy an aromatic blend, like Autumn Evening. I would like to buy it by the pound, but I am concerned about how long it will keep and what the effect of aging an aromatic blend would be. Thanks All
I believe they keep forever, many aros are goopy with PG which doesn’t really evaporate off, the side effect of cellaring them is they tend to lose a little of their “oomph” but not majorly. If you feel them in Mylar or jars is shouldn’t be an issue anyway.

Reactions: Old Smokey

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Generally speaking, you could say that most aromatics keep very well without necessarily aging. There are exceptions to this rule but not being an aromatic smoker I can't say which ones.

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Autumn Evening and/or any other C&D tobacco(s) is completely unknown to me but I have never experienced negative results from jarring other aromatic blends.
That said, I cannot claim to have noticed any appreciable improvement either.

One thing is certain:
The price of tobacco will continue to increase, as its accessibility and/or availability diminishes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It depends on the blend. Many aromatics are chemically inactive, so they'll stay the same forever. Others will undergo some change and the topping will weaken over time. A brief scan at TR gives me the impression that Autumn Evening ages gracefully, if nothing else. 👍

it depends. In a lot of ways they mellow slightly. What that means changes from blend to blend. Three Star by Iwan Ries is the most improved by age blend I've tried. It went from a genericish whatever blend to something totally stellar. But from my experience they generally don't change all that much. The most common change is the topping mellows and in my opinion usually improves the tobacco to topping ratio in the profile. But I agree not really what I'd call aging.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
From many discussions on this topic, back in the day, I recall that the consensus with most involved, was that the tobaccos would age as they normally would, but the toppings would lose their full effect and mellow considerably, but not completely go away, over a long, long period of time.

Reactions: Jef and methomp