Do Differences in Meershaum Pipes Quality Exist ad/or Matter?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
Hi All. I've been searching for my first meerschaum pipe and was wondering if certain companies produce better pipes and if there are different grades of meerschaum? I've checked out a few online sites but don't know enough to make an informed decision. Prices seem to be all over the charts even within the same brand. Does higher price normally means higher quality meerschaum, artistry etc.? Does any of that really matter?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
if certain companies produce better pipes
Yes

if there are different grades of meerschaum
Yes

Does higher price normally means higher quality meerschaum, artistry etc.?
Yes and no. Meerschaum prices have jumped $40-$150 this year. Pipes below $100 are generally not the best quality though that's more of a guideline than a rule.

Does any of that really matter?
Higher quality means a lighter, more absorbent pipe with better fittings.

I'd go with IMP, SRV, AKB, Altinok, and Altinay.

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
Hi All. I've been searching for my first meerschaum pipe and was wondering if certain companies produce better pipes and if there are different grades of meerschaum? I've checked out a few online sites but don't know enough to make an informed decision. Prices seem to be all over the charts even within the same brand. Does higher price normally means higher quality meerschaum, artistry etc.? Does any of that really matte
Yes

Yes

Yes and no. Meerschaum prices have jumped $40-$150 this year. Pipes below $100 are generally not the best quality though that's more of a guideline than a rule.

Higher quality means a lighter, more absorbent pipe with better fittings.

I'd go with IMP, SRV, AKB, Altinok, and Altinay.
Thank you for the advice!

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Hi All. I've been searching for my first meerschaum pipe and was wondering if certain companies produce better pipes and if there are different grades of meerschaum? I've checked out a few online sites but don't know enough to make an informed decision. Prices seem to be all over the charts even within the same brand. Does higher price normally means higher quality meerschaum, artistry etc.? Does any of that really matter?
I have no experience with meerschaum, but this recent thread may be helpful...

Reactions: TN Jed

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Really cheap meers are really cheap for a reason. It’s well worth saving to get something in the mid-range, price-wise. You won’t regret it.

The extra money will (usually) get nicer carving, larger pipe, a better stem and fittings and likely better quality meerschaum.

IMP are decent pipes. I’ve also bought several times from Meerschaum Market with good results. Dealing with individual carvers directly requires doing your homework.

As mentioned above prices are up. Starting a few years ago a lot of the meer output was going to China, especially on the higher end.

First and foremost, there are basically 2 major types of Meerschaum pipes. One made from Block Meerschaum, and ones made from compressed meerschaum clay or bits and pieces off the "good stuff" they pulverize and them compress. Simply stay away from compressed. You can tell because it will state proudly in the description that it was made from block. They generally, and conveniently leave off on the others that they were not made from block.

Assuming you are buying a Meerschaum from Block you will be buying a pipe that will last for years if properly cared for. The major price differences in Block pipes is who carved them. Like briar, the better carvers command high prices deservedly. I have sever Meerschaum pipes, all from block, one is a plain brandy and was relatively cheap IIRC about $150.00. the others go up from there.

If you want to see some beauties just use the search bar and look up meerschaum and where it says by, put in Chasing Embers. They are too skull-y for my taste, but they are absolutely gorgeous!

Good luck in your hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies.