Do Differences in Meershaum Pipes Quality Exist ad/or Matter?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I should of said, not every single one out there appears heavy, but there are still a lot of them, the weight differences aren’t like what this person mentioned before as Light as a Feather either.

This seems like possibly a good example a $300 pipe, so in this market place today, should $300 be considered good quality and low weight? The weight of the pipe is 59 grams...

This one is a wopping 82 grams ouch... :(

I’ve also noticed some pretty good weight on Altinay’s and Altinok’s pipes.

This Altinok is a small pipe, yet this weighs 41grams, this is almost as heavy as my Radice Rind Straight, and the Radice is a much bigger pipe.

I expected that Altinok to be more like 30 grams.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This seems like possibly a good example a $300 pipe, so in this market place today, should $300 be considered good quality and low weight? The weight of the pipe is 59 grams...
That's really not a fair comparison considering that a reverse calabash pipe is practically hollow.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
You’re not talking about the hollow inside of the Gourd for a Calabash?

Every Reverse Calabash pipe I’ve seen looks more like small little bent brandy/apple styles.

Not sure why they’re calling it a Reverse Calabash, I wasn’t paying attention, I just thought it was a Bent Dublin.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
Reactions: JimInks and PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
It’s now been 24 hrs. and no reply back to my message from TuWun over a Baki pipe. I sent a reply early, around 7am their time yesterday for China, Monday morning, it’s now 8am Tuesday in China.

I know it’s only been 24 hours, let’s see if I get a reply today. It’s only 8am China, we have the entire work day today! LOL 😆

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Many of the newer AKBs are equipped with the same mortise inserts as IMP. AKB is a distributor of various independent artists whereas IMP is a workshop. Some of AKB's pipes are by artists that work for IMP and are of great quality. Kenan and Ali are independent carvers who often supply AKB with pipes to sell that outclass all of my IMPS.

Kenan
View attachment 168393

Ali
View attachment 168389

AKB also sometimes gets in pipes from apprentice carvers. This one came from AKB and even the carvers I regularly talk to have no idea who carved it. Coming in at 12 inches with a chamber depth of 3 inches, it was nearly $70 less than my least expensive IMP.
View attachment 168392

Then we come to this no name. Flawlessly drilled with a true lattice carving, it's easily my favorite meerschaum.
View attachment 168394

Equating quality with price or brand can sometimes cause you to miss out on some very well made pipes. I once had a Baki dublin that I found very disappointing after finding that it had a terrible draw after many comments of how high quality his pipes were. I do really enjoy IMP but with their recent $40-$100 price increase, I'll likely not buy another.
View attachment 168397
Captain, do you know how to get in touch with AKB or Ali? Many thanks.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

phdaemon

Lurker
May 31, 2022
Interesting. I searched the thread but found that no one mentioned that there's supposedly one grade of meerschaum that kinda sort-a stands above the rest and usually gets a higher price. However, the only place I've seen them listed is Altinay and he calls them "translucent Meerschaum". Supposedly the grain is slightly different on these and they fill out faster. The prices I've seen on them compared to other meers are ridiculous though...the patterns are equally ridiculous.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Interesting. I searched the thread but found that no one mentioned that there's supposedly one grade of meerschaum that kinda sort-a stands above the rest and usually gets a higher price. However, the only place I've seen them listed is Altinay and he calls them "translucent Meerschaum". Supposedly the grain is slightly different on these and they fill out faster. The prices I've seen on them compared to other meers are ridiculous though...the patterns are equally ridiculous.
All carvers get them, and you may randomly get one from them but Altinay has marketed it. I've seen it in a couple of my own IMPs, and one of Baki's personal pipes was carved from it.

images.jpeg-57.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
That is the picture that made me look into how meers can get like that, which ultimately led me down the rabbit hole that is "translucent meers".

Beautiful.
It's been said that Baki did that in six months but that's still a lot of smoking.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It’s been about thirty years since I watched and listened to the gray haired meerschaum seller in Springfield, but here’s what I remember.

Then there were many mines around the meerschaum mining center. The product from each mine varied. How deep the product was mined varied. The most important (but far from only) variable was color, whiter was better.

The meerschaum market had then five categories, what we might consider grades. Once graded those blocks were further ranked into 12 quality grades.

The blocks were boiled in beeswax to help coloring. Being extremely porous tobacco smoke penetrated the meerschaum and colored only a thin layer just under the exterior where the beeswax sort of trapped and held the brown color of the tars.

I don’t remember any discussion of translucent meerschaum. Presumably it would be extremely porous blocks. The ladies who voraciously bought his pipes would have loved a comparison with bone china. Instead he used diamonds as comparison.

Beckler came to Springfield and his shop had photos of him and Beckler and a CAO big shot on the wall.

What sold so many pipes was his presentation of them, the entire southern wall of his shop being nothing but glass cases to the ceiling with meerschaums. There was sort of an island in the center, like jewelry store, and on the shelf was his enormous thousand dollar grade pipe incredibly colored with mostly brown plus all the colors of the rainbow.

The majority of his sales were over two hundred and less than four hundred dollars.

His customers had likely spent a hundred dollars maintaining their hair next door. There weren’t any poor women in sight.

What hurt his business and finally closed it was the 1990s cigar boom.

Women hated cigars, the smell of them, the image of them, spending ten or fifteen dollars each.

But they loved to buy a three hundred or so dollar present to the men they loved that lasted a lifetime and then some.

Compared with her Diamond ring a fine meerschaum was (and still is) a bargain.

Reactions: burleybreath

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Curious to know why SMS is rarely mentioned on these pages. I have an SMS and an IMP, and can't detect any difference in smoking quality, construction, or general appearance. Judging by usage, I seem to prefer the SMS. My only other meerschaum was a Baki, which I tossed*. I have never owned, handled, or encountered a meerschaum that seemed light for its size. The quality issue eludes me at this point.

* Euphemism for what I actually did to the POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.