Do You Introduce Yourself to Other Pipe Smokers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I do say hello and have always had great conversations with the pipe smokers I meet. Partially due to my training as an educator. I tend to not do the talking but ask a question or two that seems to get their interest and if you listen long enough people will talk your ear off. I also say hello to people in elevators. Staring stupidity into the abyss seems a bit mentally empty.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
On the street? Definitely not. Seems forward to me. I've had a couple of oddballs come bounding up to me unbidden and been more than a little surprised by the enthusiasm and had to politely fend them off.

I like ice cream cones, too. But I'm not going to ask a stranger what flavor he's eating or offer him a lick of mine!

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
No. The smoking pipe groups in Taiwan is very different from America. Most of them want to scam beginners.

The forums are full of illogical myths.
Like, "Antique pipes have higher density, and lighter weights than modern pipes."
"HUKE'S Pipe is the name of pipe master not pipe brand."
"You can tell the age of briar nodule."
"All dunhill pipes are made by dead root."

All you have to do is google, then you will realize it all bulls**.
Yet, other members will attack those who dare to tell the truth. Cause it will stop them from selling their shitty pipes to newbies.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The only way I know is when I go to the tobacco shop on the coast, there are a lot of foreign tourists, I can see how they buy pipe tobacco. Another place, is in the restaurant of the golf club, you can see some golfer smoking his pipe, while playing, or having a coffee, distilled. I am not a golfer, I just like this place to have a drink, it has beautiful views, and there is always silence and a good atmosphere. It is a very constructive and interesting international place. There is something I like about a pipe smoker, and that is that wherever he is, he is silent, and you can see how he enjoys that moment of relaxation. In my city, I only see people smoking cigarettes. If people saw me smoking in the street, the first thing they would think is that I am mentally unbalanced, this is the result of a Europe clogged with prejudices and other wonders of the political elite in Brussels headquarters. After decades of European Union, we have to buy candles and take cold showers.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
The only way I know is when I go to the tobacco shop on the coast, there are a lot of foreign tourists, I can see how they buy pipe tobacco. Another place, is in the restaurant of the golf club, you can see some golfer smoking his pipe, while playing, or having a coffee, distilled. I am not a golfer, I just like this place to have a drink, it has beautiful views, and there is always silence and a good atmosphere. It is a very constructive and interesting international place. There is something I like about a pipe smoker, and that is that wherever he is, he is silent, and you can see how he enjoys that moment of relaxation. In my city, I only see people smoking cigarettes. If people saw me smoking in the street, the first thing they would think is that I am mentally unbalanced, this is the result of a Europe clogged with prejudices and other wonders of the political elite in Brussels headquarters. After decades of European Union, we have to buy candles and take cold showers.
Interesting... you're comments about Europe. I was under the impression that there were a lot more European pipe smokers than American and remember seeing quite a few in public when I was there. Of course, it's been a while. And the last time I was in Brussels I visited a really first class shop in the downtown area. Wonder it they're still there? puffy

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Interesting... you're comments about Europe. I was under the impression that there were a lot more European pipe smokers than American and remember seeing quite a few in public when I was there. Of course, it's been a while. And the last time I was in Brussels I visited a really first class shop in the downtown area. Wonder it they're still there? puffy
Hi Searock. I haven't visited Brussels for a long time. I have been many times, when I worked as a truck driver. I remember as always sleeping in my truck, in an industrial area, or on the outskirts, small town. But at that time I only smoked cigars. I can't forget those magnificent breweries. Going to dance in a discotheque. Good and vague memories already. I have never visited it as a tourist, on my vacations. The first time I was in Brussels, was accompanying my father, also on a truck trip, in the 80s. sometimes we would meet at my father's friends house. Spaniards who emigrated in the 1960s

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
La Tete d'Or is still in the industry and going strong

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
La Tete d'Or is still in the industry and going strong

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
as a side note ,among other things, those will offer various sorts of Tabacs de Semois

• Love
Reactions: dunnyboy and JOHN72

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
When I moved into my last home in 2012 a guy 5 houses down from me smoked a pipe. I went and struck up a conversation. He smoked Captain Black Gold as his only tobacco and owned one or 2 pipes only. When I told him about my variety of pipes and tobacco he looked at me like I was an idiot.

I brought him 4 samples of some good tobacco in baggies and said I hope you enjoy these as they are some of my favorites. He looked at me with scorn, said thanks and walked away. I am positive he threw out the samples. From that time on I made sure my dog shit on a piece of property right next to his house. It is considered common area for the development but he thought he owned it. One time he bitched at my 17 year old son for walking the dog on his alleged property. I went to the guy and told him don't ever talk to my son again and that grass is not your fucking property. I told him I will report him to the property manager if he ever did it again. I talked to the property manager and asked what the this guys deal is and he told me he was the biggest asshole in the entire development. We had around a thousand homes so that is saying something. The guy would report people if you put your trash out an hour early on trash night. He would bitch about parked cars in the street that were there over night from visitors and was clearly in the rules. The dickhead finally moved out a few years later. I think he got tired of my dog hanging out next to his place sniffing around for ever looking for the perfect place to shit I did have bags and always picked up the shit. Sure some got left over but management couldn't have cared less, we were not expected to wash it away.

That is the only other pipe smoker I met while smoking my pipe and it was a bummer.
Didn't know that Brabbs lived so close to you. :)

Yes...it would be weird if you didn't at least acknowledge them.

Reactions: dunnyboy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There's a line in "The Milagro Beanfield War" where a local tells the social worker "... if we don't know it already chances are we're not interested in learning it..." In my experience that's the way most people are about most things. Present company excepted.

I seem to only smoke at home now days, so they don't see me. And, I'm not much of a run-a- round type, so I don't see them either. Last time I ran into one was a few years ago. I had business with him and went to his office. To my surprise on his desk was a rack with about a dozen pipes. I told him I was a pipe guy too and tried to talk pipes with him. He could not have cared less. Too bad for him, he missed the chance to learn from the greatest pipe "know it all" of all time. puffy
Searock, that is funny but you are fibbing a bit as I am the maven of all things pipes and tobacco. My knowledge expands across the universe to civilizations where I am a deity.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Would love to come across more in the wild.

Saw one once in the last 2 years and immediately turned around, pulled over and got out to introduce myself to this random guy sitting at a picnic table behind an office / work building.

Even in my one and only (proper) tobacco B&M in this town, they claim that there are plenty of pipe smokers around here, but they tried a pipe club and there really wasn't any interest.

I suppose many of us get caught up in the isolation of smoke-filled-contemplation.

Still, we've got a cigar lounge/restaurant/bar in town that might be a place for pipe smokers to begin a club... I'd love to have a group that enjoys sharing tobacco blends of all kinds.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I see a pipe smoker in the wild, I do the official Pipesmagazine.com/forums high-sign. If they don't respond with the correct countersign, I slap the pipe out of their hand and throw a pinch of Borkum Riff in their eye. If the correct countersign is given, we exchange bags of Esoterica and Sixten pipes, take a shot of Pappy and go our separate ways.
LOL, you are a sick puppy, I love it.

Reactions: dunnyboy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Harris- I am sitting high and dry on the West Coast, listening to what horrors may be unleashed on the FL peninsula's Gulf Coast. May you and you domicile avoid the worst. Good luck!

(Used to spend Winters on Manasota K ey as a kid. Now it's way over developed.)

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I have this fantasy that I’ll be on a hike or walk with my pipe and I’ll meet another piper and we’ll have this great conversation and connection.

The reality is I haven’t seen another person smoke a pipe out and about or even at a lounge in a long time.

The last time I saw someone pipe was my painting professor at an art school I went to in 2005. That guy was cool as hell but I wasnt piping then or interested.

Why not just connect with anyone? Why another pipesmoker?
The closest I have had to a fantasy, was a dream I had once that The Briary was hit by a tornado, and all of their inventory was laying out across the grass. So, I started picking up cigars and carrying them in my shirt, and another guy was like, "Hey, why are you not picking up these pipe tobacco tins?" I replied, "I have enough pipe tobacco to last a lifetime," and cigars are way more valuable." Weird dream. Vivid. I had to check to make sure it was still there afterwards. I'm still not sure whether it is open or not, ha ha.