Does Nic Hit Increase with Age of the Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Title edited for caps. See Rule 9.

My specific example prompting this question is my Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices. I ordered and jarred up a pound of this a couple years ago. From the start I have enjoyed it as a delicious and not too strong at all virginia. Hadn't had any in a while and the last two smokes, in the last couple weeks, really surprised me with a stronger than expected nic hit. Has this somehow strengthened with some age? It of course, could just be me...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: JOHN72 and PaulRVA

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
No.
There s also a lot more nicotine in tobacco than your body can actually absorb anyway, according to articles i've read in the past, also everyone has different tolerances to nicotine and that can change in your own body anyway and how it affects you can change, yada yada yada ... too many variables for a direct answer.

An old thread that is the same but opposite.

Reactions: Scottmi

Actually, perique, in the fermentation process has nicotine that converts into larger molecules. Making perique actually have less nicotine... however, this new molecule aids in the absorption of other leaf containing nicotine. So, it is possible that as tobacco ferments, it develops new molecules to aid in absorption of other nicotine.
I have found on quite a few blends, that the aged versions are much stronger in nicotine than the fresher versions.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Actually, perique, in the fermentation process has nicotine that converts into larger molecules. Making perique actually have less nicotine... however, this new molecule aids in the absorption of other leaf containing nicotine. So, it is possible that as tobacco ferments, it develops new molecules to aid in absorption of other nicotine.
I have found on quite a few blends, that the aged versions are much stronger in nicotine than the fresher versions.
I saw that in the thread i posted, thought it was more honest to post the entire thread rather than plagiarize you, i mean let's face it only politicians and heads of Ivy league schools plagiarize like that. :D

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
I really cannot answer that question with any certainty, but I have actually experienced that condition with several of my well-aged Virginia blends. I would swear that the nic buzz was up a few points from what I remembered. But that's just me!

Reactions: PaulRVA

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
I’ve experienced this as well pulling out a tin of something I smoke regularly and grabbing a tin later on from the same purchase or roll and it’s noticeably stronger than the previous tin I finished of the same blend.
A 2-3 year mark on age difference.
I would’ve thought the opposite but have not had any weaker from age.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Reminds me of a fun fact. People say black tea has more caffeine then green. Well factually it does not it has less, but it does a similar thing (not sure the mechanism, just the result) as the perique where we can absorb more of the caffeine from black teas.
To the O.P. question. Nope but if the chemical composition changes it can change how readily available the nicotine is meaning it has either the same or less but more is getting into your blood stream.

Reminds me of a fun fact. People say black tea has more caffeine then green. Well factually it does not it has less, but it does a similar thing (not sure the mechanism, just the result) as the perique where we can absorb more of the caffeine from black teas.
To the O.P. question. Nope but if the chemical composition changes it can change how readily available the nicotine is meaning it has either the same or less but more is getting into your blood stream.
Dark coffees actually have less caffeine also. Those lighter breakfast coffees are super loaded though. The more flavor, the less caffeine and vice versa.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Dark coffees actually have less caffeine also. Those lighter breakfast coffees are super loaded though. The more flavor, the less caffeine and vice versa.

I love chemistry. I've read you post this before re: changes to nicotine over time. Do you have any ready-to-go sources for the chemical changes you are referring to? If not, I can do my own research, but as a nerd and father, would also gratefully take a breadcrumb to save the time.

Either way, hope all is well in Alabama for you.

I love chemistry. I've read you post this before re: changes to nicotine over time. Do you have any ready-to-go sources for the chemical changes you are referring to? If not, I can do my own research, but as a nerd and father, would also gratefully take a breadcrumb to save the time.

Either way, hope all is well in Alabama for you.
Mark Ryan of D&R would be the guy to hit up for the technical (science-y) parts.
Thanks, all is going well. Just doing the printmaking thing. Hope your doing well also.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Nicotine can be a funny thing. The other day I loaded up some Happy Bogie and finished the bowl with no issues. Repeated the next day, about the same time and the same pipe, uh oh nic hit city, off to take a nap. I don't know what was different between the two days to cause the reaction on day two.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Title edited for caps. See Rule 9.

My specific example prompting this question is my Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices. I ordered and jarred up a pound of this a couple years ago. From the start I have enjoyed it as a delicious and not too strong at all virginia. Hadn't had any in a while and the last two smokes, in the last couple weeks, really surprised me with a stronger than expected nic hit. Has this somehow strengthened with some age? It of course, could just be me...

If you want to be scientific, order some fresh stuff and compare the two. 🤓

Reactions: SmokingInTheWind