PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have a couple of Larks, a rustic bent and a smooth straight, that I've dedicated to Virginias. My Omega is my Lakeland pipe. All three smoke just fine.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What are the differences in grabow pipes? the prices are so close, how do I choose?

Duke, grand duke royal duke, etc what's whar?
There's not a lot of difference in the new Grabows. The main difference between the different lines is color and finish. Lark and Duke are the cheapest,Grand Dukes and Royal Dukes usually a buck or so more. Golden Duke is considered the top of the "Duke" line. Cardinal and Royalton and the "Big Pipe" are their top line models,Savoys are up there also. As has been noted they are all made for a filter,except for maybe the " Big Pipe", not sure about it.Not sure they are even still making it. All of the lines come in various sizes, but the range of sizes is not what it used to be.Larks and Dukes are usually smaller pipes.The Freehands are usually bigger pipes. Take a look here to get an idea of what they are making-- http://www.drgrabow.net/drgrabowpipes.aspx The hard part is finding a store that sell more than one or two lines. Anything they make can be bought from the factory. Sign up to get their email flyers.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I may try some 1-Q in it up in the Officer's Club later. I'm carrying it in my pipe/baccy pouch in place of my usual Legend until I get a few break-in puffs. It's more expensive than the cob but wont result in me falling to my knees and yelling a big NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! if something happens.
Someone asked about running a cleaner through and it's a little tricky, mainly because it's a bent pipe and designed for a filter, which I don't use. Can be done, though.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The 1-Q smoked a little hotter than the Penzance but the pipe performed well. I still would reccommend a Dr G for a piper on a budget.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Bought that for 4,99 bucks just to have one.I have to say isn't bad.Screw metal insert could be a problem after years of use as it not turns perfectly aligned
$(KGrHqF,!mEE6Cdj+)f,BOmlsEoyjg~~60_3.JPG

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've smoked a Freehand and I have the Grand Duke that is pictured here:
grand-duke1.jpg

I like Dr Grabow pipes. They're well made and of good briar, and, fairly important to those who aren't wealthy, reasonably priced (unlike a lot of other brands, mainly the imported ones).
They aren't the best pipe (for me), I can that fairly certainly.
Something you should know is that the style of each model of Dr Grabow have been changing over the years. The Grand Duke above that is the spitting image of the one I have, isn't the same finish or even the same basic design and shape of other Grand Dukes you will see.
My two problems with Dr Grabow, from my experience, is you're stuck using a filter (I suppose there are probably Grabow's out there that have a suitable ash catcher, but I haven't seen any).
The other thing is even the larger models are typically a bit thin around the bowl compared to a lot of other briar pipes that are available. I can live with a filter, but I don't like a scalding hot pipe, which is why I've recently bought a Ukrainian import from This Ebay shop.
To sum up: you could do worse than a Dr Grabow, for certain.
On that note ... a little bit of advice I recently learned the hard way ... don't buy a rosewood pipe, unless you like to smoke rosewood. :wink:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Pentangle,that Grabow of yours (looks like a starfire?) probably has the Ajustomatic stem. When working correctly(and they are easy to fix) it allows the stem to be turned clockwise past the point where it lines up if you want. You can turn these clockwise 100 times and it will still unscrew and the keep turning until it lines up where it should.Over time the Ajustomatic gets dirty and sometimes seizes up--in the wrong position! Like I said it is usually an easy fix. They stopped making the Ajustomatic stems in the 90's.
EDIT-- this video will give you an idea of how DG pipes are made today (and for the last 75-80 years) I shot this during a tour of the factory in July. A movie maker I ain't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzJznM9IfXU

jaybird

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2011
I have a Grabow and it doesn't smoke as well as the cob, still a keeper though and I'm happy to have it.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have a DR, love it and hate it, sometime times it smokes like a champ, sometimes terible, just get what you like

Status
Not open for further replies.