PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
All the tips about tobacco packing/prep are spot on, as are the Falcon and cob recommendations. Otherwise, with many pipes if the gurgle is annoying you can hold the pipe with your palm over the bowl and sort of whip it towards the ground with the stem facing out/down to help drain it. On your Peterson you could take the stem right off and practically pour moisture out, but that whipping/flicking motion is bound to clear it right out. Like so, but with a pipe in your hand and the hat is optional:
giphy (4).gif

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Honestly, the 314 is probably my favorite pipe of all time. I have another one coming in soon, but this is a 314 with the 9mm stem. I think that will be the most versatile pipe for me: I like the filtered option because I am a wet smoker and forget to dry my tobacco. But I can also slap an adapter/reducer in it and smoke it without a filter, and still break it down if I hear some gurgle.

Also, like you I love army mounted and bent pipes.

Reactions: Piping Rooster

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's more up to the smoker. A pipe isn't going to correct one's technique. Tobacco dryness, packing, and smoking cadence have more impact on the smoke than the shape of the pipe ever will.
Yep. What Duane says.

Pipes don't gurgle; people do! While an exaggeration, mostly true.

Also the ambient humidity will have a definite effect on how much moisture will condense in the heel and shank.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Pipes don't gurgle; people do! While an exaggeration, mostly true.
Not always an exaggeration, I’ve know people that were just droolers, it could be those people that have a habitual habit of licking their lips even. We’ve had them in the cigar world we’re if there was a puff puff pass it was a given they would get skipped ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
just to be a nit picker. I generally agree with the sentiment it's more the smoker... The pipe is a factor and can make a difference. The caveat is that the difference is pretty small and not really game changing (well a falcon the dry ring, might be and their international stem (makes it look more normal) can take a filter, tried it with a dry ring and filter and you could probably smoke water dry in that, though it will also quickly end any debate about if filters effect flavor (yeah they do). I mean that set up you could smoke like you're trying to hide in smoke clouds and not get too much bite (note that is hyperbole).