PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I'm going to go ahead and create this thread in anticipation of the arrival of an Eltang Basic I just ordered. I figured I will answer the question everyone has, and then answer a question I have, and possibly others.

Question 1: How does the Eltang Basic compare to the Nording Compass? I do not currently own a Nording Compass, but I did for about a year and smoked it frequently. My strongest memory of the Compass is that it smoked like a cob. Wide open draw, very light weight. I also remember the shank only having a very shallow mortise to fit in, and never felt totally secure for a knock around pipe. I have had the bowl fall off more than once. I feel comfortable enough in my experience with the compass to do a 1:1 comparison against the Basic.

Question 2: How does the Eltang Basic compare to the Eltang Poker? I own 2 Eltang Pokers and smoke them frequently. I am curious to see how the Basic smokes compared to the real deal Pokers. How much will construction and materials make a difference in the overall experience? My criteria for a "great smoker" are more than just draw, output and flavor. Fit and finish, feel in hand and teeth, comfort, weight etc all come together to create an experience.

Stay tuned for the arrival of the basic and my thoughts to follow.
I'll do an initial impression after the first smoke, and then I'll post again after a week's worth of smokes.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
And here I was expecting a comparative review of the pipes’ smoking qualities based solely on their SPC pictures, line names and logo designs. Trustworthy reviews are going downhill bro
This review won't be associated with the Trustworthy Tobacco Review Co.
This is a freelance piece. I'm actually in the middle of a dispute with the Trustworthy Tobacco Review Co regarding payment. I haven't been paid for any of the reviews I've written. I really don't understand why though. I made up a company name, and published work under the company name, yet the checks aren't rolling in. I can't find a website for the company, or any contact info. Maybe whoever is in charge is also a member of this forum and they'll reach out to me? When I created the company, I just signed on as a writer. I'm not sure who ended up in charge.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
This is a freelance piece. I'm actually in the middle of a dispute with the Trustworthy Tobacco Review Co regarding payment. I haven't been paid for any of the reviews I've written. I really don't understand why though. I made up a company name, and published work under the company name, yet the checks aren't rolling in. I can't find a website for the company, or any contact info. Maybe whoever is in charge is also a member of this forum and they'll reach out to me? When I created the company, I just signed on as a writer. I'm not sure who ended up in charge.
I hope I don’t come across as man-splaning, but maybe the windfall has been deposited into the company’s original trading name “…Graphites”?

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I hope I don’t come across as man-splaning, but maybe the windfall has been deposited into the company’s original trading name “…Graphites”?
I hadn't even thought of that! Since I never knew who was in charge, I never notified the people in charge that I'd be writing under a new nom de plume! You might just be a genius!

Jun 23, 2019
I'm going to go ahead and create this thread in anticipation of the arrival of an Eltang Basic I just ordered. I figured I will answer the question everyone has, and then answer a question I have, and possibly others.

Question 1: How does the Eltang Basic compare to the Nording Compass? I do not currently own a Nording Compass, but I did for about a year and smoked it frequently. My strongest memory of the Compass is that it smoked like a cob. Wide open draw, very light weight. I also remember the shank only having a very shallow mortise to fit in, and never felt totally secure for a knock around pipe. I have had the bowl fall off more than once. I feel comfortable enough in my experience with the compass to do a 1:1 comparison against the Basic.

Question 2: How does the Eltang Basic compare to the Eltang Poker? I own 2 Eltang Pokers and smoke them frequently. I am curious to see how the Basic smokes compared to the real deal Pokers. How much will construction and materials make a difference in the overall experience? My criteria for a "great smoker" are more than just draw, output and flavor. Fit and finish, feel in hand and teeth, comfort, weight etc all come together to create an experience.

Stay tuned for the arrival of the basic and my thoughts to follow.
I'll do an initial impression after the first smoke, and then I'll post again after a week's worth of smokes.

Would be *very* curious about the difference in the stems. A big reason why I'm a huge fan of Tom's pipes is the comfort of his stems.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Alright. First impressions, and comparison to the Nording Compass.

Out of the box, fit and finish are top not. Drilling dead center. Wide open draw. The carbon fiber shank is attached to the bowl, unlike the compass. The acrylic bit is removable. The fixed shank could be considered a plus or a minus in relation to packability. For me it's a plus, because I don't want to worry about knocking the bowl off.

I packed a bowl of Yorktown for a quick test drive. The wide open, effortless draw, just like the compass, reminds me of smoking a cob.

The hand finished acrylic bit of the Basic, vs the molded vulcanite bit of the compass will honestly come down to personal preference. The compass bit always reminded more of the black plastic Missouri Meerschaum bits than it did a good vulcanite bit. The bit on the basic definitely has a lot more attention to detail and shaping.

Carbon fiber vs metal shank. Time will tell. I have no experience with a carbon fiber shank.

Overall I feel like the Basic improves on all the areas where I had complaints about the Compass, and to me is the better pipe.

Worth the price difference? Maybe.

If you want this style of pipe with the signature Eltang Rustication, a more comfortable bit than the compass, and a fixed shank, yes.

If none of those are something you want, buy a Compass. It'll be a great smoker as well.

Now on to question 2.

IMG_20211231_125023.jpgIMG_20211231_130937.jpg

The Eltang Basic and the Eltang Poker. Both utilitarian smoking machines.

Stem work? No.
The thin, wide, flat, ridiculously comfortable vulcanite bit on the Poker is worlds apart from the almost double thick acrylic bit on the Basic.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the bit on the Basic is bad. But we're comparing a good bit to a perfect bit. Maybe this is an apples to oranges comparison, because we're talking two completely different styles. The quality is there, the fit and finish is there, but the shape is completely different than the bits on my two Eltang Pokers. The Basic bit is comfortable. It's a good bit. Just not the same.

I'll stop here with first impressions and update my final thoughts after about 5 or 6 smokes.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Where did you end up with this? Any further impressions on the Basic as you got to know it?
I actually ended up selling it to a friend for what I paid. My final thoughts would be this.

I smoked about 6 bowls in it, and never had a complaint about smoking properties. It performed every bit as well as my Eltang Pokers. For me, the rub was the somewhat chunky acrylic bit that is about twice as thick and 1/3 as wide as the bit on the Eltang Pokers. I just found it an incredibly uncomfortable bit. I tried to give it time to grow on me, but it just never did.

In comparison to the Nording Compass, I'd say they are very similar. I do like the fact that the shank on the Eltang is permanently attached unlike the compass, but I'd say for me, the bit on the compass wins for comfort even though it's a cheap molded vulcanite stem.

If you're looking for a cheap knock around pipe that smokes like a champ, get a compass.

If you're looking for the signature Eltang rustication at a more affordable price point with a bowl that won't fall off and don't mind a narrower, thicker acrylic bit, get the Eltang Basic.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
You

Talk to your Union Rep ?

• Haha
Reactions: solideogloria86

garageboy

Might Stick Around
Jul 15, 2019
Is the carbon fiber shaft exposed to the heat, or is it set back a bit? Don't really want to be smoking epoxy

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I actually ended up selling it to a friend for what I paid. My final thoughts would be this.

I smoked about 6 bowls in it, and never had a complaint about smoking properties. It performed every bit as well as my Eltang Pokers. For me, the rub was the somewhat chunky acrylic bit that is about twice as thick and 1/3 as wide as the bit on the Eltang Pokers. I just found it an incredibly uncomfortable bit. I tried to give it time to grow on me, but it just never did.

In comparison to the Nording Compass, I'd say they are very similar. I do like the fact that the shank on the Eltang is permanently attached unlike the compass, but I'd say for me, the bit on the compass wins for comfort even though it's a cheap molded vulcanite stem.

If you're looking for a cheap knock around pipe that smokes like a champ, get a compass.

If you're looking for the signature Eltang rustication at a more affordable price point with a bowl that won't fall off and don't mind a narrower, thicker acrylic bit, get the Eltang Basic.
or try a Sara Eltang poker for a mid-point pipe.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Do you remember if the width of the bits were different? Or was it just the thickness (beside the materials, of course) that was the difference?

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Do you remember if the width of the bits were different? Or was it just the thickness (beside the materials, of course) that was the difference?
"For me, the rub was the somewhat chunky acrylic bit that is about twice as thick and 1/3 as wide as the bit on the Eltang Pokers."

The basic has a very narrow and thick bit. The Eltang Poker has a wide, thin bit. The Compass and Basic are about the same width, but the compass bit is thinner.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
"For me, the rub was the somewhat chunky acrylic bit that is about twice as thick and 1/3 as wide as the bit on the Eltang Pokers."

The basic has a very narrow and thick bit. The Eltang Poker has a wide, thin bit. The Compass and Basic are about the same width, but the compass bit is thinner.

Hopefully that answers your question.
It does; thank you!