PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapiper

Lurker
Jan 28, 2012
So I just won this guy on the 'bay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200718781839
From what the seller says it's Block meerschaum and Austrian made. Can't tell if I just got lucky or suckered as it only set me back about $30.
Since it's not only my first meerschaum, but my first estate pipe, I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to clean her up once she comes in.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I actually just got and refurbed my first Meer a week ago,don't know if I did it "right" but I tried a bowl and it tasted great afterwards..I did the alcohol [Ioso]and cotton balls in the bowl and also used it on the bowl/shank while I sanded it with varying grades and it lightened it alot

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
Man, that thing is clean.
I don't think you need to do much to clean it up at all, except maybe clean the shank and stem. This thing shouldn't need much more than to wipe the bowl out with a wet rag, but you can use a bit of alcohol to clean the inside of the shank and bowl if you need to. Just don't get any on the outside, because that's where it'll mess up the wax and affect how it colors.

I won't do the alcohol and salt (or cotton ball) treatment on a meer personally. Once you get all the old cake out, they are usually fine. I wouldn't do anything to the outside of this one except keep the dirt off it. It looks pretty pristine.
I'd say you have the real deal. You'll be able to tell that it's block because it should feel ridiculously light. The fact that it has a bone tenon implies that it's a fairly old pipe, which would make sense, since the Turks stopped exporting meerschaum in the the 60s. I'd say the stem is some type of amberoid or bakelite, rather than real amber though. Quick way to tell is to rub the stem with your thumb a few times to warm it up a bit, if it smells kind of a funny, it's bakelite.
That's one hell of a first meerschaum for $30. :clap: Austrian carved meerschaums are considered to be the among the best out there.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
This is from the post on ebay

All of my pipes are previously smoked unless otherwise stated. The pipes are only cleaned and buffed externally I remove any tar buildup from the rim and excessive carbon in the chamber I do not ream down to the wood. I also clean, buff, and sanitize the stems. I leave deep cleaning of the bowl up to the winning bidder.
So I would probably just run a pipe cleaner with som alcohol on it just to be sure...other than that it looks ready to smoke.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
How can you tell The tennon is bone? It just looked like the same material as the stem to me.
Well it's an educated guess,but a pretty certain one. I know that bone was a common material for pipe tenons back in the day. That and it's exactly like many of the few hundred bone tenons I found at an antique store last year. I wasn't entirely sure they were bone either. Thought they might be plastic, until I had to file one down to make a stem fit a pipe correctly. Nothing smells quite like bone dust!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Hell yeah another San Antonio Pipe Smoker!
Nice score on the meer man. Very good price.
It looks pretty clean allready. I would just do a VERY light cleaning. Swab with alcohol soaked pipe cleaners and wipe out the bowl with a paper towel wet with a bit of alcohol and you should be good to go!
I hope it colors nicely for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.