PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Hey Folks,

I just purchased a beautiful paneled bulldog Weber from SPC. I'm happy with the purchase and i'm not going to return it, but the chamber looks rough (the listing did call out 'chamber carbonizing'). Should i attempt to repair it with one form or another of pipe mud (if so please let me know which) or just smoke it as is. Will building up cake help or am i risking burn out without pipe mud?

Thanks for you suggestions.

PXL_20240216_013828651.jpgPXL_20240216_013844856.jpgPXL_20240216_013858845.jpg

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'd start by removing the cake back to the wood, just to make sure there's no heat damage. Then I'd coat with silicate and build a cake over that.
^^^^^
I use a simple pipe mud made with cigar ash and water
Apply a couple of coats and allow to dry thoroughly for several days
Take care not to scrape off after the first few smokes until a stable and hard cake forms

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Thank you guys. The consensus seems to be this is just left over cake, in which case i'll just smoke it as is.

Is it that SP's reemer just doesn't match the original shape of the bowl?

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Here's the procedure for fixing it, if it's not something you're comfortable with you can send it to me and I'll do it, for a fee of course. But if you leave it it will get worse and burn out.
Also pipe mud is not what you want to use to fix burnouts, thats more for raising the floor of a missdrilled/over reamed chamber.

Reactions: AroEnglish