PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
First I did try to search past forums but searching for 9mm or 6mm or filters resulted in either a gazillion returns not related to my question or a warning that search criteria was too vague.

ok so I am shopping for my first briar. I do want a filter system. I have 2 MM cobs with 6mm filters I like but they seem to get wet easy and the pipe cleaner just plows through them like they don’t exist. I have a cheap pear with a 9mm that seems ok also but to me the cobs smoke better whether true or not. Then there is balsa and distillator options.

What did you choose and are you happy with it, or would you change your initial choice?

Reactions: MtnGeo

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
I’ve moved past all filters in any pipe with one exception. I also have many pipes that accept no filters.

The exception is the rock maple in a Brigham. It’s non restrictive and the type of wood is highly absorbent. I lean toward using it for tobacco I tend to dry less. Seems to prevent the gurgle - and they are good for a number of smokes if you wipe them down and/or rinse them off and dry them. Only issue is they’re only for Brigham pipes - as far as I know. However - I am a fan of the Brigham pipes I’ve got.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I’ve moved past all filters in any pipe with one exception. I also have many pipes that accept no filters.

The exception is the rock maple in a Brigham. It’s non restrictive and the type of wood is highly absorbent. I lean toward using it for tobacco I tend to dry less. Seems to prevent the gurgle - and they are good for a number of smokes if you wipe them down and/or rinse them off and dry them. Only issue is they’re only for Brigham pipes - as far as I know. However - I am a fan of the Brigham pipes I’ve got.
Yea I saw those. I think it’s called a distillator. I also like the look of their pipes.

Reactions: yanoJL

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Are the below statements true?

1) If I buy a 9mm pipe and later want filterless smoke I can add a 9mm to 3mm adapter.

2) If I buy a 6mm pipe I can smoke it without a filter.

3) If I buy a non filter pipe I can never add a filter.

Reactions: indoeuro
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
To filter out tar (carcinogens) best it can without effecting taste (or minimal impact). I don’t mind paying more for filters.
The Savinelli charcoals is what I’d suggest. They are the same size as the balsa and also should fit the MM cobs since the balsa format does as well. They will mute the flavors a little compared to say the balsa style which is more for moisture.

yes, you can smoke a pipe drilled for a filter without the filter. You can’t add a filter that’s not drilled out for it unless there’s enough space for someone to modify it after the fact.

Reactions: clynch and MtnGeo

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Are the below statements true?

1) If I buy a 9mm pipe and later want filterless smoke I can add a 9mm to 3mm adapter.

2) If I buy a 6mm pipe I can smoke it without a filter.

3) If I buy a non filter pipe I can never add a filter.
Yes

Reactions: RobNYC

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Yea I saw those. I think it’s called a distillator. I also like the look of their pipes.
The
I recommend the 309 in any model that fits your budget. I suggest checking different sites for pricing that works for you. Sometimes I see that model go from the $50 range to $120+ range. My best so far is the $50-$60 range..plus the tax of course. But, for $75 or less, the 309 should provide a good experience at that price point. Only my opinion and experience. I’m sure there is better - but, I’m going to add more Brigham 309 to my rotation when right - I think, without offense to Brigham, that they will basically be my Grabow of yesteryear. They just perform at the level you need them to. Sure - some low-end and higher end in the mix - and without the the current custom job… if I could only smoke two pipes that I’ve already smoked …1 is Stanwell 83 and 2 is Brigham 309. Simply because they are just great smokers that don’t require high maintenance. Call me a codger - but n don’t care. But - I’m not dedicated to els than 5 blends. ?. Keep making them. I keep buying. Simple.

SmokestackLightnin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2022
So Cal
This may change down the line, but for now I use 6mm and 9mm pipes, don’t really have a preference between the two, and prefer charcoal filters. I recommend that you explore different options if you can, starting with Savinelli and Peterson. You have to find what works for you (and may find you don’t like filters at all), and there’s no substitute for your own experience.

indoeuro

Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
I stick with balsa filters, both 6mm and 9mm, except for my Dr. Grabow and Medico pipes; for those the 6mm paper filters still work best. Charcoal filters wash out the flavor too much for my taste. Plus, they don't really do anything to control moisture, which is my primary concern. Stick with balsa in your cobs because the stem shrinks inward over time, making it increasingly difficult to get a paper-walled filter to fit. Balsa still knocks the bitey edge off of aromatics and Virginias - my secondary reason for using a filter - like charcoal does, but without a noticeable (to me) decline in flavor.

Reactions: Old_Newby