PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Pretty cool pics. Anyone who thinks we are alone is dreaming. With billions of galaxies and star systems there has to be billions of planets. Are there billions of civilizations? I believe there are. Without faster than light speed travel we will never go very far. Light speed is a joke and we will go no where with that tech. If we can establish stable worm holes that is maybe the only other way for inter stellar travel.
Our galaxy the Milky has billions of stars. The distance from one end of the Milky Way galaxy to the other is so vast it is hard to comprehend, now multiply all of the other billions of galaxies and their billions of star systems the numbers say there is no way we are alone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looking back in time is amazing, and by billions of years too. Because of astronomic changes, the physics then may appear different than it does now. Stars and other celestial bodies are further apart, if I understand the Big Bang.

The whole concept of dark matter is intriguing. Most of what is exerting gravity in the universe isn't even visible.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I knew they had done it again.. These photos aren't real, they never are.

In order for scientist to be trusted, they should make an attempt at honesty.

Played em like a fiddle..

“Something I’ve been trying to change people’s minds about is to stop getting hung up on the idea of ‘is this what this would look like if I could fly out there in a spaceship and look at it?’”

Good luck with that buddy. rotf

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
People have been irreversibly trained to expect the ultra highly processed images of astronomical objects.

Invariably when showing people Saturn in my telescopes they would exclaim “I can see the rings! It’s so small!” I’d always reply that no, it‘s full sized. That usually puzzled them for a bit.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Pretty cool pics. Anyone who thinks we are alone is dreaming. With billions of galaxies and star systems there has to be billions of planets. Are there billions of civilizations? I believe there are. Without faster than light speed travel we will never go very far. Light speed is a joke and we will go no where with that tech. If we can establish stable worm holes that is maybe the only other way for inter stellar travel.
Our galaxy the Milky has billions of stars. The distance from one end of the Milky Way galaxy to the other is so vast it is hard to comprehend, now multiply all of the other billions of galaxies and their billions of star systems the numbers say there is no way we are alone.
The reboot of the cosmos TV show had a great discussion about this.

Basically it said that breaking the speed of light barrier is impossible. Because we have never observed anything in nature actually do it.

Before we achieved flight, we knew it was possible because we saw birds fly.

Before we broke the sound barrier, we knew it was possible because we heard the super sonic boom of projectiles being fired.

We have yet to observe anything in the known universe that has broken the lightspeed barrier.

But…if we ever do, starships are in our future.