0*f9NNPd5nBUMuN6IY.gif

“You are the universe experiencing itself.“
-Carl Sagan

Reactions: Toast and mso489

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Incredible, and that’s just a warm up (no pun intended).

I remember seeing an article not that many years ago with an image of the first recorded gravitational lens. Now the analysis of lensing in images is a commonly used observational tool. Lensing is easily seen in the image above.

Eventually gravity wave telescopes will improve in resolution as optical instruments have. Then we’ll really be able to peel away dust and obscuration.
Yep, that gravitational lensing was predicted by Einstein -- crazy that gravity can even bend light. I remember reading that even Newtonian physics allowed for gravitational lensing, but to a much lesser degree.

Reactions: Akousticplyr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bravo. Everything had to work correctly, like the sun shield unfolding, because they can't send astronauts a million miles to do repairs. People expect the first year of photos to be continual ah-ha moments, but I suspect they will raise more questions than they answer. The real pay day may come in twenty years when (If there are people around to think about it all) they will make underlying sense of what they have accumulated over the years. Like the movie 2001 that proposed we would be traveling between galaxies by then. We can't even get to the local restaurants for various reasons.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Bravo. Everything had to work correctly, like the sun shield unfolding, because they can't send astronauts a million miles to do repairs. People expect the first year of photos to be continual ah-ha moments, but I suspect they will raise more questions than they answer. The real pay day may come in twenty years when (If there are people around to think about it all) they will make underlying sense of what they have accumulated over the years. Like the movie 2001 that proposed we would be traveling between galaxies by then. We can't even get to the local restaurants for various reasons.
Yeah, even the launch had to be perfect -- this mission had a lot of steps that had to unfold just so. It's a bit of a miracle it's operational.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I love the quote from Carl Sagan about how you are the universe experiencing itself! That's an insightful turn.

Reactions: Akousticplyr

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Those truly are galaxies far, far away, but they appear to have captured an image of a small moon.

View attachment 156524
Hey... that's no moon!

All the images were beautiful but the gravitational lensing in the Deep Field blew my mind. I wrote about it today on my blog. I can't wait to see some of my more favorite DSO's imaged by Webb.