PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

andrew l

Lurker
Dec 31, 2021
I'm getting ready to try my hand at casing for the first time, on whole leaf Virginia Flue cured. I'm set on a casing mix formula but have some questions on anti-mold additives.

I've had good results so far misting with a grain alcohol/polyethylene glycol solution. I'm pondering which is better: to use my spray solution after the casing process is complete or to add some p. glycol to the casing mix (or something else).

Experience anyone?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am also a member of another forum, most of the folks are tobacco growers there. Some of them grow their own pipe tobacco because they don't want PG in their tobacco.
I think a little bit of it's o.k. but too much and it ruins the taste of the tobacco. And I swear it's one of those things where it's neutral for a lot of people but..... Not everyone.

Reactions: jvnshr and andrew l

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
Best anti-mold solution: keep your tobacco on the dry side. That way I haven't had any problems with whole leaf tobacco. And it's exactly how I enjoy smoking it too.

I've never used PG so I can't help with that, but my advice would be not using it at all.