PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
For anyone interested in interactive fiction, a.k.a., text adventures, the 16th annual Interactive Fiction Competition starts Friday.
Some of the games will be great, some will be junk, it's up to you to judge them.
IF Comp 2010 Page
You'll need a few different interpreters to run the files. Most likely they'll be Adrift, Inform (Zcode), TADS, Glulxe, and possibly Hugo. Filfre can run both Inform and Glulxe files and Gargoyle can run most, though often without sound or graphics.
More info on those here:
IF Wiki FAQ
You'll need a mapper unless you like paper or getting lost:
GUEmap Page
Trizbort Mapper Page
If you're seriously interested and have any questions, just send a message my way.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
P.S.,
This might be helpful to know what's going on:
play-if-card-300dpiMedium.png

Kind of what you can expect (in looks, not stories):
ss_frotz.png

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I haven't seen anything like that since the Commodore 64.

Wasted a lot of time drawing maps and wasting more time.
I suppose that's why they invented Myst.
Edit: Hey Dudley, since you managed to get your string started I'll take care of the others that got caught in the spam filter.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Awesome, looks like a MUD. I would participate if I wasn't studying. :(

May 19, 2010
Oooooh

>.> I see much free time vanishing due to this. It has been a long time since I played a text adventure. This time I may not get lost with one of those shiny mappers. Me and the paper tend to disagree more often then not.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Wow, I was doubtful anyone would be interested, but I'm pretty excited about the competition, so I put it out there anyway.
Anyone who gives it a try may be really surprised at how engulfed you can become in a good story. Some of these authors are really talented and put a lot of work into their games.
Lawrence wrote:

Edit: Hey Dudley, since you managed to get your string started I'll take care of the others that got caught in the spam filter.
Preshadit. I had to restructure the whole thing to be able to post. I had all the really handy links in the first version.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
I made a text based rpg in matlab a while back, it ran pretty well, but you needed matlab to run it, which is expensive.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
It was soooo many years ago that I last played one of these. I can't even remember the name of the one I used to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.