PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telemitry

Lurker
Aug 28, 2023
It’s rare for me to try super hyped up things and enjoy them . I prefer Blanton’s over any of the Pappy’s for instance.

So when I bought three cans of 2017 FMC I was kinda splurging for a guys trip I had coming up . Just thought it would be cool to open one with them just to say we did .

I’m still mostly an aromatic smoker so the smell caught me off guard a bit. It wasn’t as sweet and def had a slight spice to it.

I packed up a Castello 55 and off we went .

It’s pretty incredible. All the reviews describing the smoke or feeling in your mouth as creamy are right on. It’s smooth , doesn’t bite , tastes great with no bitter finish …. Everyone of us loved it.

It truly lived up to every hype opinion I’ve read and all the other tobaccos I brought sat unsmoked the rest of the trip.

So unfortunately, looks like a costly new problem ;)

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I bought a 100g tin of Frog Morton Cellar when it was announced that McClelland was shutting down. FMC was my favorite of the Frog Morton blends.

One of these days I may even open it but right now it is still sitting in my footlocker with my tin of Penzance and other blends I bought back in 2015-17.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I have one tin of it. I had been thinking of opening it on a special occasion, but now I am thinking I should save it until I feel like my tastes are mature enough to appreciate it, or maybe sell or trade it on to someone. For now, it waits in my cellar. :)

telemitry

Lurker
Aug 28, 2023
I have one tin of it. I had been thinking of opening it on a special occasion, but now I am thinking I should save it until I feel like my tastes are mature enough to appreciate it, or maybe sell or trade it on to someone. For now, it waits in my cellar. :)
For what it’s worth … I’m mainly a Scotty’s Trout Stream and Cult BRM smoker … so I wouldn’t say I have refined tobacco taste. But I thought this 2017 FMC was incredible and worth enjoying

Reactions: Winnipeger

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I traded my almost full 100g jar of FMC for 50 mylar bags. Different strokes for different folks.

I have what for me is a crapload of McClelland tins, a bunch of Frogs that I panic bought when I suddenly realized McClelland was no more. (Wasn't paying attention to forums back then, and when I clicked on McClelland at SP one day, I was like "WTF!" The only stuff they had stocked was FM, FMC, and FMOTT. All the other vendors had zilch. I was looking to buy some Balkan Beauty, some more BEACON EXTRA 🤤, etc. Instead I rashly bought 2 of each of the Frogs. Then I googled McClelland and found this forum. Hahaha.

Thankfully I was on the ball when it came to their 40th Anniversary, but I started pipe smoking in 2017, so it was a narrow window. I've tried enough different McClellands to placate any FOMO. I do miss me some Beacon Extra, but (#%$%&!!!) that's the problem with threads about McClelland. They create an insatiable pining in the pipe smoking masses!

Anyway,)

glad to hear of the OP enjoying a new experience. That's one of the things this hobby is all about, so, carry on. The Frogs don't contain enough nicotine for my general liking. Maybe I'll come around to them in my dotage. Hahaha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carol
Mar 1, 2014
Don't wait too long.
Definitely don't smoke it as your first ever tobacco, but if you have any more than a year of regular pipe smoking under your belt then have at it.
One of the things I learned from the Cigar guys is "every day is a special occasion", leaving special tobacco stashed away unsmoked forever is just as much a waste as throwing it in the trash.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I've got a few tins still. Ive smoked a few. it's good but nothing to go crazy over. A pretty typically aro-english blend with a mcclelland flair

Jun 23, 2019
For what it’s worth … I’m mainly a Scotty’s Trout Stream and Cult BRM smoker … so I wouldn’t say I have refined tobacco taste. But I thought this 2017 FMC was incredible and worth enjoying

Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel probably a good warm up blend to have if you're hesistant about your technique, in many ways it's very similar.