From Cigars to Pipes or Pipes to Cigars?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
I started with the pipe and when I discovered quality cigars, particularly Cubans, I realized how much richer the flavor was, how much easier, no-fuss cigars are. So I will soon sell all of my cellared pipe tobacco and pipes, and focus on a modest Cuban cigar collection.

Reactions: Appayipyip

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Why not both?

THIS. If cigars are still new to you, you may be in the honeymoon phase where the novelty wows your senses with continuously unfolding development of your cigar palate. Down the road, you may become accustomed to cigars and then start missing all of those pipes. It happened to me when I started smoking pipes after 15 years of cigars. I sold boxes of cigars that are irreplaceable to build a pipe tobacco cellar - I regret most of those sales now considering what has happened to the Habanos market in the last few years, but such is life.

I spent most of the first 2 years of pipe smoking ignoring my cigars and focusing on the pipe. In the last year, I've gone back to cigars and probably smoke them more than pipes, but that can and likely will change again. Hell, with the cooler weather, I have been craving pipes more than cigars over the last week.

But that has just been my journey thus far.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA
I added premium cigars to the rotation, last year, after not smoking cigars for nearly 20 years. All I can say is WOW. Pipe smoking taught me how to slowly coax flavors from tobacco and I think this translated in the best way possible when I added cigars. I have been consistently blown away by the experience I get from cigars vs 20 years ago, when I didn't smoke pipes. It's like pipes unlocked a new level of sensory abilities with cigars. Either that or cigars are way better than they were 20 years ago. I now smoke 3-4 premium cigars a week. But they will never replace the pipe. The pipe will always be king for me.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I started with cigars and then went to a pipe. Later in life I started a pretty extensive program of smoking cigars. Then finally I ended up where I am today smoking two pipes and one cigar per day. Never had problem with the switch.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Most of the time I've seen people go more to cigars happens either with an increase in disposable cash combined with just being more convenient. I think a big factor for a lot of people is that pipes have more distinct variety and really do give more bang for your buck. If I smoked cigars the way I smoke pipes using the same budget I'd be almost out of cigars instead of being able to wait a year or two before I need to buy more pipe tobacco. Also pipes are just sexier. (Oh and you don't feel the same urge to share your pipes as you do with cigars [if I buy a box of cigars everyone is getting asked if they want one]).

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
Most of the time I've seen people go more to cigars happens either with an increase in disposable cash combined with just being more convenient. I think a big factor for a lot of people is that pipes have more distinct variety and really do give more bang for your buck. If I smoked cigars the way I smoke pipes using the same budget I'd be almost out of cigars instead of being able to wait a year or two before I need to buy more pipe tobacco. Also pipes are just sexier. (Oh and you don't feel the same urge to share your pipes as you do with cigars [if I buy a box of cigars everyone is getting asked if they want one]).

Fair points. Another point is that, precisely because of cost, I will smoke less frequently and make it a real luxury. I smoke only great cigars (still reasonably priced within the context of cigars) instead of smoking daily and settling for less magical tobacco.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Started with pipes when I was an undergraduate to get away from cigarettes.
Stopped smoking for years while the boys were growing up.
Then 15 years of cigars exclusively after my sister returned from a trip to Cuba with a box of Cohibas as a present.
Broke out the pipes a few years ago. I find so much more diversity of flavours in pipe tobacco that I seldom reach for a cigar these days.
I still have a large stash (enough for several years at my rate of consumption) of aged/ageing sticks.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I started with pipes and have been smoking them a little over three years now. I only started seriously getting into cigars since last June. I love both, but for different reasons.

Pipes are highly individualistic and personal. For me, they transmute baser things, such as loneliness and confusion, into solitude and clarity. A good cigar can approach achieving the same, but not to the same degree as pipe smoking. I've multiple pipes and blends to choose from, and can even customize a blend as I see fit should the mood strike. It carries a more ritualistic and personal approach. I can and often do smoke my pipe in company, but it is something I prefer to do unbothered. Pipe smoke is also generally just way more pleasant than cigar smoke, which is important, because with due diligence, I can safely smoke inside without damaging the walls or stinking up the place. With cigars, that is harder to do, at least in my experience.

Cigars, however, encourage sociability in me. Giving someone my pipe would be like letting them use my toothbrush, but I can give a friend or stranger a cigar without issue, and I've had great experiences of fellowship thanks to the sharing of good cigars. Smoking a cigar alone is also a great experience, and they are less fussy when dealing with inclement weather than pipes. They also have an uniquely robust profile. My humidor usually has around 20-30 sticks in it at any given time. The cost of good cigars does creep up, however; so I do budget for it appropriately, whereas a tin of pipe tobacco is less than $20 and will last me a long time, because I smoke my pipe no more than twice daily on average. If not for PAD, pipe smoking would be a fairly affordable hobby, but with cigars, I must budget. As such, I may smoke 1-2 cigars a week, if that (I tend smoke fewer cigars when cold weather sets in).

Love both and would like to continue enjoying both for as long as I can. I prefer pipes slightly, but both give me what I want.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I started with pipes 8 years ago and then added few cigars about 3 years later. I am a 95% pipe and 5% premium cigar. I prefer pipe because to me there is much more flavor, much more palette variety, I like the ritual and the technique involved (which could be a minus for many) and it is more meditative either when smoked in the house or outside. The few cigars I smoke are just for their specific palette profile which cannot be found in pipe but definitely I am a pipe guy.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I learned about cigars after taking up the pipe. I have maybe 50 cigars remaining, and don't know if I'll ever smoke em. I like a cigar maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Not a huge fan. I'm a pipe guy through and through.

TheHellYeah

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Porto, Portugal
instagram.com
This is happening to me as we speak! Coming from a European country that lacks pipe that offer I started to wonder around the humidors at my pipe tobacco store!
Since I don’t have a humidor at home I mainly buy cigars to smoke in the same day! So far I’ve tried Capitol Premium Nicaragua Gala, Romeo y Julieta n3, Davidoff Primeros and just today a friend offered me a Macanudo Inspirado Gigante! I’m just a starter at pipes and specially cigars, but I guess the road is the same. Long road till we find what suits better our palate. In my personal case, I have to felt uncomfortable and I think I honestly enjoy both ways of tasting tobacco!

TheHellYeah

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Porto, Portugal
instagram.com
Update of my previous post:
Romeo y Julieta No.3 has revealed to be the one I like the most on terms of flavour.
As I said before, a friend offered me a Macanudo Inspirado Gigante and today my wife brought me a Flor de Copan. As you can easily guess I’m a newbie in cigars universe… so I would like to have an opinion in the next cigar to try out! I don’t want to misjudge a cigar just because it’s the total opposite of the one I’ve tried before and liked it. I don’t know if there should be a natural order for newbies in terms of flavour and potency evolution. I would love to have your help on this. Thanks in advance.

IMG_8949.jpegIMG_8950.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Update of my previous post:
Romeo y Julieta No.3 has revealed to be the one I like the most on terms of flavour.
As I said before, a friend offered me a Macanudo Inspirado Gigante and today my wife brought me a Flor de Copan. As you can easily guess I’m a newbie in cigars universe… so I would like to have an opinion in the next cigar to try out! I don’t want to misjudge a cigar just because it’s the total opposite of the one I’ve tried before and liked it. I don’t know if there should be a natural order for newbies in terms of flavour and potency evolution. I would love to have your help on this. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 269398View attachment 269399

There is no natural order for learning to cigar, with only a few things to be avoided in the beginning: very strong cigars, very expensive cigars, and cigars that you've tried, don't like, but continue to buy and smoke.

The first is self-evident if you've ever gotten the spins from nicotine. The second class, I mention because if you have not learned your palate and preferences, a spendy cigar may be lost on you, or not to your taste. The third point describes your natural order.

I'd recommend sampling whatever catches your eye and meets your budget - pay particular attention to brand, countries of origin for the various components (wrapper, binder, filler), and cigar size. This way, you will begin to learn what you like.

I've not had good luck with cigars that can only be purchased for cheaps online - there's a reason stores don't devote shelf space to them.
I've had good luck with popular, well-regarded manufacturers, because the reason they are so well-known is because they put out good products. (I would not apply this to General Cigar products that use Cuban branding - so many of those are just plain awful).

Reactions: TheHellYeah

zedman05

Lurker
Jan 21, 2017
Alberta
Started with pipes in the early/mid 2000’s and bought a pile of tobacco to try. Only smoked rarely at that point due to young family and knew enough that tobacco only gets better with age and proper storage.

Started smoking cigars in 2009 and was hooked. I went hard in the paint with cigars since then, gaining enough to consider myself a grizzled veteran.
Now I am back in the pipe game, since there are a few members of a group here that love their pipes. Now I am happy that I have all this stuff from the early 2000’s sitting there, waiting for a bowl. Hopefully I like it as much as cigars.