PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OwlTellYa

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2023
Upstate NY, USA
I’m not a fan of Latakia. When I mentioned this on this site, several folks made recommendations of blends with Latakia that might be better tests. I’ve now tried several such blends (ranging from mild to medium Latakia), and thus far there is only one brand that I like. Seattle Pipe Club’s blends are nice (Plum Pudding, Mississippi River). But all others so far are still unpleasant to me. What does SPC do differently?

Reactions: FLDRD and yanoJL

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I can relate. I like Latakia but I am particular about it. A lot of the ones people love are meh to me. But those proportions can make a huge difference. I added some small amount of Stoved Red Va to an English blend and it honestly got weird but really good. Had weird whiff of wild strawberry which not sure how that works but..... Those percentages make a huge difference. Latakia is weird it's a forceful flavor but it's also complex and it's interactions can be wild.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I also prefer slightly sweeter latakia smokes and keep unflavored black Cavendish and stoved Virginias on hand to just add a touch to lightly sweeten up a blend. This can make a noticeable difference in the overall flavors and lightens the smokiness of some latakia blends.
Latakia ia not for everyone. Fortunately for me, I really enjoy the stuff!
Something else for you to try - look into American blends with burley and Cavendish along with the Virginias and latakia. Also, try some English blends without perique.
Good hunting - you'll find your sweet spot! puffypuffypuffy

dottlejockey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Lat blends were what got me interested in the pipe. I came from a cigar background and was intrigued by the campfire/bbq thing going on, especially in balkan blends. Over time i went through the gambit; next discovering and falling in love with VA/pers, then pure VAs and eventually settling in with those and the often more satisfying burley blends. However, even though i've never came back around to the full balkan stuff once discovering the other experiences available in the VA/Burley worlds, there is still a place in my smoking regimen for a few quality lat blends. These days they tend to me, as you said, more in the mild-med lat range with plenty of supporting tobaccos.

Like you, i enjoy the local SPC blends such as Mississippi River, for instance. But to name a short list of others, if you still want to explore:

C & D Epiphany
SG Perfection
Gatlin-Burley

Still smoke these on occasion and still excellent, particularly in a morta (of which i own 2 just for such occasions).

Reactions: badbriar

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I was under the impression they have a sweet topping, but might be wrong and haven’t smoked any myself, or yes proportions. Nothing wrong with not liking lat., lots of other options out there, I like and need all genres now.

You probably wouldn’t like Nightcap, my new favourite English, it’s 50 % Latakia, and strong, but does have good fruit and sweet from the Virginia and Perique, surprisingly.

Reactions: FLDRD