PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I agree about it being the London import mark, here is a similar example, note, it is also an Extra, so I would say I was incorrect in thinking I was seeing a Birmingham mark.
gbdextra.jpg

May 31, 2012
The weird U mark means "imported"...actually I dunno.
Silver hallmarks drive me nuts,

even when they are clear it's sometimes hard to decipher!
4872333_f520.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
This is tough, in the link, the lower case k, if we are using London marks, would seem to be 1925, the above picture, again if using London marks, looks like 1910. The only thing that may helpful with your pipe, is what looks like curvature of the faded mark at the right hand side of the cartouche, going on that, 1909 (o)? 1939 (D)?. 1939 seems kind of late for the orific stem. Anyone else have any thoughts?
edit: Troy, I agree, hallmarks can drive one a little crazy!!!

K

klause

Dave, your curiosity and wise prompting has taught me at least two important things. When I was looking at these stamps all I could see, even with my glasses on (yes, lads, age is galloping up on me), was three indistinct blobs. Maybe a hint of shape in relation to the escutcheons and shield. It's actually quite mind boggling how a good, clear close-up photo can reveal so much, from what appears to be so little. And, as a result of this, I now know more about my pipe, and silver marks. So, thank you. It was and education, and, a most enjoyable and interesting evening, chasing around the interweb last night, following trails and nuggets.
As for the date letter, I keep jumping around. But, like you I doubt it's 1939, due to the stem, and info about ceasing production in '37, even though, for many reasons, I'd love it to be '39. We may never know - still, as niggling as that is, it really is of little importance - the pipe is very old, beautiful, perfect, and sure to be a lifelong companion with whom I look forward to growing old.
Troy, man, I have to concur - silver marks are a head-wrecker. I start off excited thinking I can get definitive answers from them, only to slump into uncertainty, usually oscillating between at least two possibilities. Ah! It's all part of the fun, Mate, and only adds to the enjoyment of a smoke.
Al, I know. I do. I'm grinning from ear-to-ear. It's these little gems, picked up for a song that really elevate the soul.
Thanks for all the comment, and help, Gents - I really do appreciate it very much. Still, if someone can nail that date stamp, they would certainly scratch that niggling itch for me :)

May 31, 2012
I don't have any sophisticated photo processing stuff, but if you tried to run it through something to get different contrasts or negative flips, it might highlight something...
...squinting and trying to imagine what it once was is fun too,

for some reason I still "see" a lowercase g --- blackletter outline looks pretty close,

that'd make it 1922 with the London lettering system.
But still a bit unsure.

:?:

ZaPKsjf.jpg

7F83IYp.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Troy, I think you could very well be correct. If it were an o, as I suggested earlier, one would expect to see the curvature at the left hand side of the mark.
Dave

May 31, 2012
-squint-

-squint-
Hard to tell for sure.
This case needs forensic tools, like fingerprint matching software, but for matching assay date letter silhouette outlines LOL if we could drag and drop the various letters into place until one "matched up", it would make everything a 'lil bit easier!

:P
eyeye​

K

klause

Patrick, Fnord, I can honestly say you can give up all hope. I've just spent an hour on the door step with this pipe, and Germaines Rich Dark Flake. All my hopes and expectations have been exceeded. First smoke of both, and the start of what is going to be a long, long love affair. Heaven, Gents. Heaven.
Troy, your idea of imposing the letters on the Mark crossed my mind - I had a bat cave type scenario in my mind last night, while I was struggling with flicking between windows trying to mentally impose letters on the photos. T'would be a cracking tool if it could be created :)
I have to agree with you and Dave about this being a lower case G. It fits the best, and y'know, it's good enough for me. 1922 it is - the itch has subsided. Ultimately it's not important, and isn't going to colour my view of this pipe. It's a beautiful smoke, absolutely superb.
Gents, thanks for all the input, it's been informative, interesting and fun. Very much appreciated - happy smokes!

May 31, 2012
Great to hear that the old girl delivered the goods with heavenly grace!
Great baccy selection too, if that stuff is like Stonehaven, I bet it was yummy.
Glad everything fell into place and you found a true treasure. Reminds me of my old 30's BBB Ripple that I got for a song, which needed a bit of work and I wasn't really expecting much, but the little pipe has the wings of an angel and enhances tobacco flavor like no other, from top to bottom, without fault, and it's one that I truly treasure.
These little pleasures (really no small thing) are what makes this all so rewarding!

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.