PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
I have recently used my terracotta hydrostone to rehydrate some very dry tobacco my Dad gave me (Balkan Sobrane) and the aroma is so strong and a bit acrid (not sure if I'll try the tobacco!) I daren't use it in any other tobacco.

Is there a good way to cleanse it of the aroma?

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
It's porous.. Just thinking out loud here
You could try soaking it in acetone (nail polish remover) , let it air dry. Since acetone is very volatile, it will readily evaporate. If that doesn't work you could try to boil it for a while. that may drive the ghost out...

Reactions: beerandbaccy

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
An update for anyone that was interested/has the same issue.

I soaked the hydro stone in water for some time (a day or so) but although the water seeped out a lot of aroma the stone itself didn't really improve much

I then boiled the stone on the stove in an open pan of water for an hour. Improvement definitely noted but still heavily ghosted.

I soaked the stone in white vinegar. I left it on a shelf for a few days (3 or 4 I think), cleaned it with fresh water and an old toothbrush, then boiled it for 20 minutes or so until the vinegar smell had gone. Allow to fully air-dry. The stone is now aroma free (near as damn-it)

My advice: If you use hydro-stones or terracotta pot shards. have several and mark them for different types of tobaccos (mild, medium, smokey, aromatics etc.) or else do what @simong does (check reply above).

Happy hydrating!

puffy

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon