PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
I’m making soap with the family and was reading up on glycerine. Has anyone tried using it on their stems? Either hot water bath and cooled with glycerine, or in place of obsidian oil?

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Yes, bad if it attracts moisture. I was reading about how it can soften rubber.
won’t be doing any experiments then…

Reactions: kcghost

Pyrodoc

Lurker
Dec 5, 2023
Arlington, Texas
My collection of pre war kaywoodies gets MCT oil. It's food grade coconut oil that does not go rancid and is not solid.
Coconut oil is technically a semi-solid wax, can be food grade, is easy to work with and confers superior wood finish and protection. The only caveat is wood color change with first use, but it is usually a handsome result on most briars. Works well on pipes. Jojoba oil is another fine choice. I’ve tested both over years.

Reactions: bayareabriar

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Coconut oil is technically a semi-solid wax, can be food grade, is easy to work with and confers superior wood finish and protection. The only caveat is wood color change with first use, but it is usually a handsome result on most briars. Works well on pipes. Jojoba oil is another fine choice. I’ve tested both over years.
Jojoba is a true liquid wax which never oxidizes. The coconut oil I use is a clear liquid at room temperature. It does enrich the color of the pipe. The white semi solid type is a bit to difficult to work with without modification and can oxidize under certain conditions. The clear liquid oil does not oxidize.