PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Some of the gluten stuff isn't real. Yes, celiac disease is real and they can't have gluten and yes, some people can have a gluten sensitivity/intolerance much like people can have lactose intolerance or how I have poultry protein intolerance... but the intolerance/sensitivity isn't deadly like it is for people with celiac (just results in gassiness, bloating and running to the bathroom faster than "drinking the water in Mexico").

The problem in part is a lot of people claim gluten intolerance that they don't have and they are self-diagnosed, and some of them have psychosomatic symptoms because they've fear mongered themselves into it. And some claimed an allergy rather than sensitivity because with so many bandwagoning on the trend, people didn't trust you when you said you have a sensitivity. And then part of it too was a motivation for some to have an excuse as to why they are overweight that isn't their own fault ("it's not my fault I am fat, it's gluten intolerance and gluten is in everything! I swear I don't eat large sized McDonald's meals 5 times a week and never exercise!").

So, I don't think nearly as many people are sensitive/intolerant to gluten as what's claimed. It was a diet trend/fad in part, and in part a greater awareness that it's a thing (kind of like how rates of autism aren't greater, it's just correctly diagnosed more often and there's more awareness now, which artificially makes it look like there's more people with it). All combined to inflated numbers relative to the past.

So, I don't necessarily buy that gluten sensitivity has increased over time.

Last edited:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I was "diagnosed" with "celiac disease" by a full fledged, licensed doctor, after lab tests. Was told to stay away from anything even remotely containing gluten by a full fledged, licensed dietitian. Was threatened with cancer if I trangressed their dictates.

For a while I tried the special diet. Very. Expensive. Diet.
Very. Miserable. Diet.
Especially for a natural born sweet roll eater who grew up on buns, bread, pasta, sweet rolls, and myriad of gluten-containing foodstuffs. No ale either (though at the time I wasn't much of an ale drinker, and I could drink liquour no problem).

Eventually, I turned around and said, "fuck it!" Went back to eating what I want when I want; became the killer of a daily pint; and never bought their "gluten-free" pseudo-food again.

Almost 20 years later: here I am.

Granted: I might still die of gut cancer if that's God's will, but at least I'll die well dined and wined. Life's long enough and miserable enough as it is. Why make it longer and worser?

depriest1022

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2021
Arkansas
www.researchgate.net
I see no difference here...?
Never said that some don't have true issues.
Just pointed out that for many, there seems to be something different in the wheat "here" vs "there". Some would really like to figure out what that is.
You could be right but I fear that Americans have become a bunch of whiners.

The design of that study would be difficult but it’s not impossible.

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
BS & BS.

Natural selection and hybridization are definitively NOT GMO. And GMO is still very much a "shotgun" approach and not nearly as "specific" as some would think.

No, relatively few whole foods have been GMO'd, but almost all processed products that pretend to be food, contain GMO ingredients. Big difference.

And, nearly NOTHING I eat has been genetically modified. It may have been hybridized over centuries, but the food I CHOOSE, almost exclusively, is not GMO.

And I have NOT counseled anyone to make specific choices. This simply came about because I was sharing to answer the "half serious" pondering of GMO products.
Almost nothing you eat has been developed via natural selection. Almost everything you eat has instead been modified by humans over time, via multiple techniques that select for desirable characteristics. (Obviously even natural selection is a form of genetic modification, but the point is that humans have intentionally done this to their entire food supply.)

These characteristics are encoded genetically. The characteristics of an organism cannot be modified, without modifying its genetics. What else would you propose changing?

You eat almost nothing that hasn't been genetically modified by human manipulation. That's literally reality.

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
Plus, we could never make corn that will kill a mouse without being able to go in and modify chemical reactions within the plant. How long would that be able to happen naturally? Probably never.
??? Natural selection has created a LOT of really highly poisonous organisms. Obviously if a trait can be developed naturally, it can be developed via intentional manipulation - whether that's hybridization or transgenic processes. One just takes a lot longer...

Also remember that the "dead mouse" study was inconclusive and many methodological issues were raised during peer review; it was not a high quality or particularly reliable study, being funded by an organization with an agenda against both transgenic tech and Roundup.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Almost nothing you eat has been developed via natural selection. Almost everything you eat has instead been modified by humans over time, via multiple techniques that select for desirable characteristics. (Obviously even natural selection is a form of genetic modification, but the point is that humans have intentionally done this to their entire food supply.)

These characteristics are encoded genetically. The characteristics of an organism cannot be modified, without modifying its genetics. What else would you propose changing?

You eat almost nothing that hasn't been genetically modified by human manipulation. That's literally reality.
I'm sorry but you're simply incorrect.

Reactions: Briarcutter

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Now too much to reply to, and I have to go out for several hours. Maybe sayonara to this thread. No bad feelings, cosmic!
Wait a minute! We haven't discussed GMO pipes. Would you buy and smoke a pipe made of genetically modified erica arborea? And in the same vein, how about the corn used in corncob pipes? Hasn't that been dicked around with? I've frightened myself now, and may give up smoking. (Joke. I don't give half a rat's ass.)

I'm sorry but you're simply incorrect.
Arbitrary assertion. The former post is my understanding of how these things work. Some guy named Darwin caused an associated kerfuffle about it over a century ago.

Some guy named Darwin caused an associated kerfuffle about it over a century ago.
Mendel and the peas is what came to mind when I first heard of GMOs. But, there is difference between breading specific traits from a wolf over 100's of years to get a cocker spaniel, and altering chromosomes in a lab to get wheat that grows twice as fast on a drop of water. They are even growing chicken in petri dishes. Where would you draw the line? Corn poisonous to mice? Lab grown hot wings? Bringing back Wooly Mammoths? Velociraptors? Tomatoes that scream when you cut them?

Sure, science can do some things, but should they?

• Love
Reactions: olkofri and FLDRD