PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
A few years ago my long term Dentist up and retired on me. It felt like no matter what he did I wasn't in the chair longer than 30 minutes max. It hit me harder than I thought it should, he did great work. I'd payed for his car and he'd looked into my the abyss of my maw more times than I care to remember but good for him. I moved to the my wife's dentist and I liked him even better! He practiced through the pandemic without interruption, impressive. He was the BOSS and he up and retired on me after two years. I was crushed.

I was hurt, it took a while to get back to an office but I did at the end of last year. Thankfully I was in good shape consider how long I had been absent from a pro cleaning and check up. I would say my new dentist is in his late 30's or early 40's so baring something uneventful I should be good to go. Now, about two weeks after my initial cleaning and check up I chewed on a stale, old, dried up sports gummy while exercising and pulled off a crown from an implant. A hunk of CEMENT gummy. STUPID. This particular implant was sound but had some initial bone loss from back when it was placed which was around 2012 from an unrelated oral surgeon. It had remained stable with no more bone loss for years including this incident. My new dentist was a real advocate for me when I told him I'd be fine just cementing the crown back on. He convinced me to go up to the guy who had placed it and I ended up with a bone graft even though my surgeon said it probably would have lasted indefinitely without one. It made sense, it was exposed for the first time since it had been placed. This all happened because my new DDS wanted the best for me and jumped on the phone to the oral surgeon. I couldn't be happier and well worth the investment not to mention peace of mind. I'm going to like this guy.

I lied, I could be happier. I'm not smoking for at least 6 weeks maybe longer. If there is moral to this it's find a dentist you like and take care of your mouth. We smoke and place our oral mucosa at a general higher risk than people who don't and I firmly believe it's good to have someone look into the abyss from time to time.

Last edited: