PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Hello everyone, my name is Nicholas and I'm 32 years old. My first experience with pipe smoking was about 7 years ago. I was watching a lot of Sherlock Holmes (starring Jeremy Brett) at the time. Eventually I was completely overcome with the urge to give pipe smoking a try after watching Holmes puffing away for hours on end. So I went down to the local tobacco/cigar shop, picked out an affordable Viking bulldog pipe and a few ounces of some house blend or another. I smoked maybe 10 bowls in all over the period of a couple of weeks and then I quit. Pipes were not for me, or so I thought.

Over the years that followed I found myself occasionally returning to give it another shot, only to stop again. So, even though years have passed, my actual experience is maybe ~1-2 months in total. I'm a total newbie.

Recently I have picked up my old Viking bulldog and took a trip down to that same old tobacco/cigar shop I started at to purchase yet another couple of ounces of a house blend. I'm giving it another shot. I'm enjoying myself much more than I used to. Maybe I've become just a little bit more patient with age. I really want to give pipe smoking the time and effort that it requires in order to truly appreciate it, which brings me here. I'm looking to learn more about proper technique, to experiment with smoking new and different varieties of pipe tobacco, and to hopefully make some like-minded friends along the way.

Thanks for having me!
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!

Reactions: NicholasM

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Welcome from another Wisconsinite. Sad to hear about your experiences, they somewhat echo my own. When I got back into pipe smoking about three or four years ago I skipped the cheap aromatics and got a tin of Early Morning Pipe and an ounce of Newminster 400. Now I don’t claim I love either of them but back then they really opened my eyes as to what’s going on in the world of pipe smoking. As such, you may want to pick up the Amphora Sampler pack off of SmokingPipes. You’ll get a nice selection of blend types and though they themselves might not be your jam they could be doorways to other stuff you may not knew you liked.

Be patient and stick with it! It’s a great hobby :)