PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bobcat87

Lurker
Oct 9, 2023
Hello all, and thank you for the warm welcome!

I have made two pipes from the Ash that I have on hand and so far, they seem to smoke well. I assume that because ASH is fairly hard it will be decent, but not ideal. I saw some thread that noted that Ash was commonly used for Church Wardens in the past before Briar became the go to wood. The article did note that because Ash is fairly flammable, it is advised to smoke the pipe cool and build up a good carbon cake to help protect the pipe.
I bought the stems from the local pipe shop so those were not made by me.

Attachments

• 20231008_130019.jpg
    20231008_130019.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231017_210754.jpg
    20231017_210754.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: upnorth1

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
Welcome from Nebraska.

I see that Mr. Brog sells a pipe made from ash, so it is most likely not toxic. I wonder about the longevity of an ash pipe though.

bobcat87

Lurker
Oct 9, 2023
Welcome from Nebraska.

I see that Mr. Brog sells a pipe made from ash, so it is most likely not toxic. I wonder about the longevity of an ash pipe though.

That is kind of what I am guessing. If you smoke an Ash pipe all the time, it might not last as long as Briar, but if you are an occasional pipe smoker, say a couple of times a week and you have multiple pipes that you rotate through, I'm thinking that an Ash pipe will serve you well for all intents and purposes.

Thanks for the reply!

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
Hello all, and thank you for the warm welcome!

I have made two pipes from the Ash that I have on hand and so far, they seem to smoke well. I assume that because ASH is fairly hard it will be decent, but not ideal. I saw some thread that noted that Ash was commonly used for Church Wardens in the past before Briar became the go to wood. The article did note that because Ash is fairly flammable, it is advised to smoke the pipe cool and build up a good carbon cake to help protect the pipe.
I bought the stems from the local pipe shop so those were not made by me.
Nice pipes!👍

Reactions: bobcat87