PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofTrebizond

Lurker
Oct 19, 2021
Hello all,

I'm a 25-year pipe smoker but had a lapse in my enjoyment of our hobby for many years. I started up again this year and quickly remembered how much I enjoy a good smoke and collecting pipes. I was a member of the earliest form of forums when the Internet was on Usenet: alt.smokers.pipes (I think this was the name). This was before AOL, browsers, or other graphical environments. I found it fascinating that we were scattered from all over the world sharing stories and tips to help each other, and now here I am again! Thank you to the admins for their time and dedication in creating this welcoming space.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central North Carolina. I grew up in Chicagoland and remember some sub-zero winters there and some snow banks higher than a bus, like driving down a hall. We're due a second snowfall here in N.C. tonight and tomorrow, nothing like Chicago, but because we have less snow, we have fewer trucks and less equipment. It's really the ice that is deadly here. We can get a thin deadly glaze on all the roads in less than a hour. Then in two or three days, everything has melted. I sneak down the leafy side of my iced driveway with a pruning pole in hand to hook the newspaper from across the ice glazed driveway and gutter. I call it my seven minute Mount Everest expedition.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Hello from the northwest side of the city. You are in a good spot, as there are a couple of very well regarded tobacconists in the area, plus a world-reknown club: The Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club.

We meet at least monthly, often more for social smokes. Hope to see you around.

Reactions: ofTrebizond

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm still an Iwan Ries customer. I recently bought a cigar sampler from them. Years ago, I bought three of their house pipes when they were sourced from Edwards/Benton, in nice oil cured Algerian briar, all still going strong.

• Love
Reactions: ofTrebizond

ofTrebizond

Lurker
Oct 19, 2021
Welcome from central North Carolina. I grew up in Chicagoland and remember some sub-zero winters there and some snow banks higher than a bus, like driving down a hall. We're due a second snowfall here in N.C. tonight and tomorrow, nothing like Chicago, but because we have less snow, we have fewer trucks and less equipment. It's really the ice that is deadly here. We can get a thin deadly glaze on all the roads in less than a hour. Then in two or three days, everything has melted. I sneak down the leafy side of my iced driveway with a pruning pole in hand to hook the newspaper from across the ice glazed driveway and gutter. I call it my seven minute Mount Everest expedition.
Thank you, sir! We've been pretty fortunate so far in terms of snowfall. It was a mild December and start of this month. We just began with single-digit temps and below zero windchill. The cold season is here. It makes you, hearty, right? I hope your snow and ice melt quickly, and that you aren't hit by another storm that far south. Careful getting the paper on Mount Everest!

ofTrebizond

Lurker
Oct 19, 2021
Hello from the northwest side of the city. You are in a good spot, as there are a couple of very well regarded tobacconists in the area, plus a world-reknown club: The Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club.

We meet at least monthly, often more for social smokes. Hope to see you around.
I'd like to meet with the Chicagoland club very much! I've never been. We do have some good tobacconists around here. Thank you for the invitation.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.