PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
How do you pronounce “Horry”?
Quite easily! If you can pronounce Harry then you can pronounce Horry, just replace the a for an o. Although coming from Hackney, Horry would’ve pronounced it Orry. Like all cockneys, they preferred not to pronounce their H’s.

Example:

Old Horace from Hackney (the queens)

Ole Orry from Ackney (the cockney).

While I’m off on one, why do so many smokers mispronounce the Revor in Revor plug? It’s not ‘Reevor’ or ‘ReVoir’ even, I mean, it’s not French!

Say Trevor & pronounce it the same but without the T & you’ve got Revor. Simple.

B&M causes confusion for us here, this side of the pond. I mean, what’s B&M stand for ‘Bert & Mabel’ no? Oh, ’Bricks & Mortar’ but all shops are made from bricks & mortar, so what sort of shop? Oh, a Tobacconist shop! So why not call it a tobacconist’s in the first place? Americans, like Hungarians for some reason, seem to struggle saying that one.
IMG_4280.gif

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Quite easily! If you can pronounce Harry then you can pronounce Horry, just replace the a for an o. Although coming from Hackney, Horry would’ve pronounced it Orry. Like all cockneys, they preferred not to pronounce their H’s.

Example:

Old Horace from Hackney (the queens)

Ole Orry from Ackney (the cockney).

While I’m off on one, why do so many smokers mispronounce the Revor in Revor plug? It’s not ‘Reevor’ or ‘ReVoir’ even, I mean, it’s not French!

Say Trevor & pronounce it the same but without the T & you’ve got Revor. Simple.

B&M causes confusion for us here, this side of the pond. I mean, what’s B&M stand for ‘Bert & Mabel’ no? Oh, ’Bricks & Mortar’ but all shops are made from bricks & mortar, so what sort of shop? Oh, a Tobacconist shop! So why not call it a tobacconist’s in the first place? Americans, like Hungarians for some reason, seem to struggle saying that one.
View attachment 306215

The cockney iteration of "Horry" is so much safer to use on this side of the pond. In fact, I am now personally adopting it going forward.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
That's an amazing pipe. Also too big for me to smoke, but I have others that are in that category, so...I would keep it, 'just because'. It's so huge and odd that it would make a great art piece - get an acrylic display box for it and put it on your mantle.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
That's an amazing pipe. Also too big for me to smoke, but I have others that are in that category, so...I would keep it, 'just because'. It's so huge and odd that it would make a great art piece - get an acrylic display box for it and put it on your mantle.

Thanks! I considered that. Ultimately, a forum member I have a lot of respect for and have built a friendship with wanted to add it to his personal collection. Seems fitting that this special pipe go to someone who will enjoy it regularly. A good guy at that. I still "won" in the sense I was able to handle/restore the pipe and learn about its background. I feel really good about that...