PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I received this one in the mail today, I’m quite pleased with it. I do have a question about when it was made though. I think the stamp shows a J and an anchor, but it is hard to tell. Based on the googling I did, that would appear to be 1933. Although the company was in business then, something about it doesn’t seem quite that old.

I’m hoping someone here can help me figure out when it was really made. Not a big deal, I like the pipe either way and look forward to getting it cleaned up.

Also, it does say “made in Austria” on the case, but from what I understand they said this on the cases long after they started making them in Turkey.

One other thing, the silver number appears to be 935, as opposed to the typical 925. I googled this also, and that would seem to make it Argentium silver. Again, that doesn’t really matter to me, I just like the pipe, but I am curious.

I would appreciate any help I can get in figuring this stuff out.

23D6ACFB-CAB6-4EF1-9C7A-FAC16E33D3BB.jpeg
30D1DF15-E39E-459C-871C-9BA2FE7A9E3E.jpeg
138D75F2-CEA5-4ED6-A54F-C45B0117DF87.jpeg

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I’m not an expert, but I don’t think it is Amber. I’ve also never seen a real amber stem in person, so take that with a grain of salt.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I would guess that it's probably late 50's to early 60's, and it possibly has a replacement stem. The stem doesn't seem to match the case perfectly. It's also possible that the silver work was done as a repair for a cracked/broken shank and made into a spigot pipe. Just guess on my part though.

May the pipe bring you many happy smokes.

Reactions: Ryan