SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 30, 2024
Hi, I am a reseller who came across a set of 2 Meerschaums in their original fitted case with a small yellow piece of paper stating where to send for repairs. $2 repair/$4 replacement. I have added some photos. Any information regarding date, style, type, ect would be sincerely appreciated as I have minimal knowledge of vintage pipes. Also, are these 6mm or 9mm? I apologize if this is the incorrect sub for this. I’ve used this forum for research in the past though this is my first post. Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to help. I appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_1388.jpeg
    IMG_1388.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1391.jpeg
    IMG_1391.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1395.jpeg
    IMG_1395.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1396.jpeg
    IMG_1396.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1389.jpeg
    IMG_1389.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1404.jpeg
    IMG_1404.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1402.jpeg
    IMG_1402.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: AroEnglish

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Let’s assume your pipes date to the same time period as the paperwork accompanying them. Based on the specific address and the lack of a 5 digit zip code the set was sold by Mastercraft between 1955 and 1963 inclusive. This can be narrowed a bit further since the company’s name changed from Mastercraft Pipe Company to Mastercraft Pipes Inc in 1958. So I think the evidence is pretty clear that these can be confidently dated to 1958-1963.

You can read the somewhat confusing Pipedia entry for more information but as it’s very largely based on memories of the company after it was sold by the owner in 1974 I would be highly skeptical that the sourcing comments are applicable to pipes predating the transaction.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024
Let’s assume your pipes date to the same time period as the paperwork accompanying them. Based on the specific address and the lack of a 5 digit zip code the set was sold by Mastercraft between 1955 and 1963 inclusive. This can be narrowed a bit further since the company’s name changed from Mastercraft Pipe Company to Mastercraft Pipes Inc in 1958. So I think the evidence is pretty clear that these can be confidently dated to 1958-1963.

You can read the somewhat confusing Pipedia entry for more information but as it’s very largely based on memories of the company after it was sold by the owner in 1974 I would be highly skeptical that the sourcing comments are applicable to pipes predating the transaction.
Thank you very much. That helps tremendously. It would have taken me HOURS to figure that all out. This is why I go straight to the experts! 😊 I find these types of things fascinating so I may just keep them as the first of my new collection Thank you again for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
No problem, good luck with the sale or start of a collection as the case may be!