PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Souk

Lurker
Aug 14, 2023
Ontario, Canada
Hi Everyone!

Wonder if any of the experts out here have any information on a couple of pipes I picked up. The pipes are from an auction lot with no information or detailed pictures. Got the items today and finally found out what I bought :) I'm finding I really like trying to find out more about the history of the pipes I get.

Trusty Google gave me some information but not on the specific pipes I have. One is a unsmoked Dr. Plumbs and the other is a Portland Pipe Product.

The stampings are:
Dr. Plumbs - Toucan - 651 - St. Claude France
Portland Pipe Product - Kings Best London - 1 - Made Wholly in England

Both of these models nothing came back in the Google search. For Portland Pipe Products it looks like they are Barling seconds and a few mentions of John Peel which there is no stamp of. They were in business in the late 30s till 1962, that is the best I got for dating the pipe. Not sure if anybody has any more insight on the model I picked up.

The Dr. Plumb's looks unsmoked but the dot on the stem is missing and the PLUMB stamp on the stem seems odd to me as well. I don't see any traces of white and it's black except for the L which is oxidized like the rest of the stem. Perhaps this was partially restored but the lettering seems to have some ridges so assuming it hasn't been sanded? I was hoping to see another one of these pipes online and I can make sure that is supposed to have the red dot and white lettering. Also, I'm open to suggestions on what to use to fill in the hole that is the PLUMB red.

If anybody has any information on dating and history of the pipes it would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Marc

Attachments

• IMG_2733.jpg
    IMG_2733.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2734.jpg
    IMG_2734.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2735.jpg
    IMG_2735.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2736.jpg
    IMG_2736.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2737.jpg
    IMG_2737.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2741.jpg
    IMG_2741.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Souk

Lurker
Aug 14, 2023
Ontario, Canada
You would easily found info on the Dr. Plump's pipe on pipedia,org.

Dr, Plumb's Pipes
Yeah that is what Google pointed me to but was hoping for more information still. Like, this era the stamping looks like this and has this or that. I'm thinking the plumb stamp doesn't have a white fill and the dot is red. Hoping to actually see what the pipe looks like for accuracy.