PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Hello Members,

I recently found this online tool that might help many of us. This tool can help you with making your titles correct and compliant with Rule 9.
Just type in your posting title on this page. Use APA Style tab and Title Case (default).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When the first letter of each word of the title of a book, article, headline, etc. isn't capitalized, I find them somehow abrasive and am not inclined to read them. Reminds me of a seismograph chart.

seismograph-diagram-graph-of-earthquake-on-paper-vector-20436413.jpg

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
When the first letter of each word of the title of a book, article, headline, etc. isn't capitalized, I find them somehow abrasive and am not inclined to read them. Reminds me of a seismograph chart.

View attachment 122412
I agree also but have discovered the rule for titles requires that certain words should NOT be capitalized. I think the moderator has had to correct several of mine where it was not just missing capitalization, but was also not supposed to be capitalized. That’s where this becomes complicated since I am not an english teacher. ?

Reactions: trudger and jpmcwjr

MRW

Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Hello Members,

I recently found this online tool that might help many of us. This tool can help you with making your titles correct and compliant with Rule 9.
Just type in your posting title on this page. Use APA Style tab and Title Case (default).

Do we REALLY need this tool? Geez

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Do we REALLY need this tool? Geez
I'd love it if it works well. I don't think it'd cause any delays or grief with posters,
Why not just press on the shift key for the first letter of each word in your title? It's not rocket surgery. It's not technically the correct thing to do for titles but if that is what the adjins want just do it.
Close. Just important words, but that really means not articles, prepositions and other small words.
I’m fairly certain that 99.7% of the people here are unaware of title capitalization rules anyways… Most of these threads aren’t Pulitzer material either. ?
True on both, though even I would say a mere 80% don't know or don't care!!

Reactions: JOHN72
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
A common mistake with titling is using lower case for the verb "is," which should be capitalized (along with all other verbs and pronouns). The link Old_Newby posted is very good; it has options for most of the standards in practice for titling conventions (which vary quite a bit).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A common mistake with titling is using lower case for the verb "is," which should be capitalized (along with all other verbs and pronouns). The link Old_Newby posted is very good; it has options for most of the standards in practice for titling conventions (which vary quite a bit).
Well, yes, I have made that "mistake"- and many others. It won't be perfect, but I —and most others— I surmise, want no more discussion of the finer points of titling.

Reactions: kcghost