PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Now if I were to make some Verti-racks would anybody buy them? I'll have to price out the materials/time but my goal is to make the cost reasonable and relatively inexpensive and they would be available in one of two configurations and holding about 20 pipes.
rack4.jpg

The standard table top. In this picture the rotating base isn't shown and I would definitely dress it up a bit.
wallmountvertirack.png

The wall mount would be the other option. Only a design at this point but not terribly different.
Well? What do you fellows think?

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Hmmm, can't really use such a thing as I spend all of my time in a truck, but one concern instantly crossed my mind. During hot weather, wouldn't there be a danger of the stems slowly bending under the weight of the bowl?
Perhaps that can't happen, I don't know. I just know that rubber does soften when heated.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I see a lot of promise in the design. From what I see I would definitely think about buying one.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Well pipetrucker I could definitely see that happening but I imagine that it would have to get very hot before that became a problem. As far as just over time I do imagine it would take many years of sitting undisturbed to be noticeable at all.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Well pipetrucker I could definitely see that happening but I imagine that it would have to get very hot before that became a problem. As far as just over time I do imagine it would take many years of sitting undisturbed to be noticeable at all.
You're probably right. Being from Florida such heat related issues just naturally come to me. Interesting design.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
I like that. Looks like it is fairly easy to produce and can be greatly customized. Imagine some surface carving and staining. Maybe a painting or screen print. Maybe even incorporate an ashtray into the base and a Humidor behind the rack on the bottom support.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
There are racks similar in concept currently available made from acrylic plate. Some look pretty nice, they start at about $140 and go UP!

If you were able to put something together for $20 or so it might be a winner.
I do like the turn-style idea of yours, that really makes it unique.

At the very least complete one such as you show in the drawing. Load it with pipes and post pics.

If nothing else you'll have one for yourself.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I can see one of my Grandkids grinning as my pipes go flying across the room!! Like the concept though.I'd be interested in something like that.

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
I have been trying to design one myself. I wonder if simple holes or pegs would work as well as slots. You could even add rubber/plastic gromments to the holes to provide more grip.

The board could be cut in different shapes and naturally there are tons of wood choices. Woodcrafters sales exotic woods that may already be the right size.

I have other ideas. I had not thought of the turnstile system and that is a really good idea.

Personally a tradition pipe rack just does not do it for me.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ichbinmuede, your pipe stand seems and looks eminently practical.

It occurred to me however; that you might want to round off the slots above and below.

That may take some of the pressure off of the bits, and be less likely to stress the shanks or bits on the pipes.

Seems they might hang in a more natural position.
Just a thought.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
No. I store the cobs not in my rotations in a large cardboard box. All three of my briars are always available for service.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Interesting design, but I like for my pipes to rest in a vertical position with the bowl down.

martini

Lurker
Sep 28, 2011
ohin3 said:

Interesting design, but I like for my pipes to rest in a vertical position with the bowl down.

Exactly. If I were going to design a pipe rack, I'd stick with a design that stuck to the traditional bowl down arrangement. It keep any left over moisture flowing towards the bowl. Plus, the pipes being held out horizontally like that looks like an accident waiting to happen.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
It seems that this type of rack would put too much stress on the tenon. Sorry, but I'll stick with the traditional design.

Status
Not open for further replies.