Home (Or Professional) Chefs - Lets Talk Knives.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I’m a Cutco fan when I’m looking to spend the money. They are like the zippo of knives, for me. American founded and owned along with free product service for the life of the knife.

I have a very old cutco hunting knife I inherited from my Nan. It’s still sharp but does need a good servicing that I haven’t gotten around to contacting them about. It’s what got me into the company.
I grew up with Cutco knives in the house. Traveling salesman, like Amway or Tupperware. I bet most people in our neighborhood had them. They were a very good value. But have you seen their prices lately? I like to support American companies, but wow, they're up there. I periodically get mail catalogs from them, and their basic sets are $800-1500. It's difficult to reconcile the idea that they were once door-to-door, basic quality utility goods, and now they're boutique items.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I have a full set and block of Wüsthof Classics that see daily use. I also have a couple of Japanese knives; a Global santoku and a Shun paring knife. In addition I have a couple of Chicago Cutlery boning knives, and, my prized possession, a full set of old, non-serrated Ka-Bar deer antler steak knives.

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
I forgot. I have, and used a tefal heritage gourmet santoku.

For boning knife, i used icel (red color).

Good cheap knifes around 15-22€. Tojiro dp santoku (which I said above in another comment) is expensive, cost me 95€.

IMG_20230220_011247.jpg

3857_13_macairi_xekokalismatos_kurto_kokkino_13cm_safe_icel_2-0.jpg

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I grew up with Cutco knives in the house. Traveling salesman, like Amway or Tupperware. I bet most people in our neighborhood had them. They were a very good value. But have you seen their prices lately? I like to support American companies, but wow, they're up there. I periodically get mail catalogs from them, and their basic sets are $800-1500. It's difficult to reconcile the idea that they were once door-to-door, basic quality utility goods, and now they're boutique items.
I like a good American product, with good American support. It’s become so uncommon these days and I will pay for it especially if it’s a product I’ll use every day.

I’m not lining my kitchen with them (though I would if I had more FU money) but I did purchase 4 individual knives from them back in 2020 for a couple hundred for sure. The knives are solid and the handles are extremely comfortable. At least one of them is used every single day and they still look like new.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I'm a home chef, but I like good tools. I was on a Japanese knife kick 10 years ago, and picked up a few.

- Masakage Shimo 210mm Gyuto, white #2 carbon steel with damascus iron cladding. The edge when new was just crazy sharp. It would almost gravity fall through carrots.
- Gihei 165mm Santuko, HAP40 steel. This steel is extremely hard, and once sharpened well it retains its edge for a very long time. I grab this knife at least 50% of the time.
- Yoshimune 240mm Gyuto, white #1 carbon steel with funky hammered stainless cladding. I grab this knife when I have a lot of stuff to process, like making salads or large dinners.

Also shout out to the old Wusthof Classic 8-inch chef's knife. Mine is 20 years old and still gets used quite a bit.

Lastly, I have an older Sabatier 4 star elephant carbon steel carving knife my wife bought me about 15 years ago. It's steel is rather soft, but when steeled just before use, it carves meat like nothing else.

I picked up water stones when purchasing the Japanese knives, but my sharpening ability is hit or miss. Some days I get it perfect, other times I learn to walk away. Lately I've been just stropping occasionally, and haven't used the stones in over a year.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I like a good American product, with good American support. It’s become so uncommon these days and I will pay for it especially if it’s a product I’ll use every day.

I’m not lining my kitchen with them (though I would if I had more FU money) but I did purchase 4 individual knives from them back in 2020 for a couple hundred for sure. The knives are solid and the handles are extremely comfortable. At least one of them is used every single day and they still look like new.
I hear you. They do have great customer service and support their warranty.

Over the years I have had several brands including high ends like Wusthof, Sabatier and cheapies like Chicago Cutlery and then I found my favorite on an Amazon black friday deal. Ytuomzi. I bought a chef’s knife and it is razor sharp. Holds an amazing edge still sharp after a year and feels great in the hand. I liked it so much that last Black Friday i bought more. IMHO by far the best value out there. For filet knife the best is the original Rapala. The one below is over 40 years old. I also found a Swedish Morakni and is a beast. Razor sharp and i have two. One for kitchen and one for camping

85BD694A-7C94-4983-AC42-943A6208330B.jpeg
18130AA1-DC59-4A30-862B-75D5E2D8177C.jpeg
3C02601E-08F9-4132-8A43-E66C536B2A9C.jpeg

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Browsing through retailers the last few days I was honestly surprised to still be seeing Global products. Full disclosure, I've never used or even held one of their knives - but they always seemed so gimmicky to me. I'm glad to know they actually do work for some out there.
Maybe one day I'll even pick one up?!
I've never been a huge fan of Global knives, but they were all the rage in kitchens back in the late '90s - early '00s.

But one of my executive chefs that I worked for swore by them. He said that he experienced a lot less fatigue when working with a 10" Global Chef's Knife as opposed to a Western-style Chef's knife.

I like Japanese-style knives, but as someone earlier posted, the blades are generally much thinner. And I live in a house with my wife and two kids who will occasionally use my kitchen knives in ways that are grounds for divorce/given up for adoption. My BIL gave me a nice little Shun prep knife years ago, and almost immediately it was missing the tip from some mishap that no one would fess up to.

My Wusthofs stand up the abuse quite well. And since I only use them at home when I cook, I'm not too concerned with fatigue.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I also found a Swedish Morakni and is a beast. Razor sharp and i have two. One for kitchen and one for camping
I've never heard a single complaint about knives from this company, even from grumpy knife aficionados who lift their nose that they're not full tang and other pet peeves about their knives. They begrudgingly recommend them if they've used them. I've wanted to grab a couple different models for a while now for camping.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I am a Japanese knife fan, but do not care for VG10. I find it chippy and a PIA to sharpen well. My first keeper was a damascus AUS-8 stainless gyuto.

Knife1.PNG

Then I got a 120mm blue #2 (carbon steel) petty from Fujiwara and a JKC (store brand) Nakiri with a blue #2 core.

1676916165425.png

and last, I picked up another 210 gyuto. It's a #2 white steel with a soft iron cladding. It is so easy to sharpen to crazy sharp!

ShiroGyuto.JPG

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
Since I mostly prepare Cantonese dishes I learned from my late father, I use a Chinese carbon steel cleaver:

View attachment 203711

I have some more conventional chef knives, but, I feel most comfortable using this.
I’ve know several chefs that used this type of cleaver almost exclusively. They’re work horses & stupid cheap at any Asian market.

Since I mostly prepare Cantonese dishes I learned from my late father, I use a Chinese carbon steel cleaver:

View attachment 203711

I have some more conventional chef knives, but, I feel most comfortable using this.
This is one thing that I am lacking. Not because I don’t want one or think them useful, but just because I never think of them. Given that I am a borderline gourmet home cook I MUST GET ONE!!!!

Mar 1, 2014
Just got my new main chefs knife today, an 8" Meglio gyuto in Magnacut
I am envious.

My favorite kitchen knives are the Victorinox 12" Cimeter and Chef's knives. Not always the most practical but it makes me smile every time I pick it up.

They're very affordable and some of the only kitchen knives in the price range that aren't made in China.
I am a fan of Victorinox brand steel (good balance of stain resistance and edge holding).
It seems that these are no longer in production (can't find them on the official website).

(Actually my Cimeter is an old 14" but those seem to be long gone.)

Last edited:

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've never heard a single complaint about knives from this company, even from grumpy knife aficionados who lift their nose that they're not full tang and other pet peeves about their knives. They begrudgingly recommend them if they've used them. I've wanted to grab a couple different models for a while now for camping.
At first I was like hmm never heard of those.. googled the site... wait a minute, these are just Mora Knives lol.

For those that know, Mora are tremendous value outdoors/hunting/bushcrafting knives. Some don't go for the style /design, but if you try one you may just get hooked!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I am envious.

My favorite kitchen knives are the Victorinox 12" Cimeter and Chef's knives. Not always the most practical but it makes me smile every time I pick it up.

They're very affordable and some of the only kitchen knives in the price range that aren't made in China.
I am a fan of Victorinox brand steel (good balance of stain resistance and edge holding).
It seems that these are no longer in production (can't find them on the official website).

(Actually my Cimeter is an old 14" but those seem to be long gone.)
12" cooking knife under $100 - sheesh.

high carbon steel knives you can get. Yes they need more care & attention than stainless knives but their edge is by far more superior.
Superior? I'm not sure I agree. HiCarbon is certainly easier to sharpen once the edge is lost than stainless but in my experience they do not hold their edge as long as stainless. I think there is a place for both. For me, I mostly have high carbon in the kitchen but for camping/hunting when I am nowhere near a stone I prefer stainless.