PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's not just any OTC codger blands. I have others in the house. Specifically Capt Black Royal I'm craving. Been lazy and my pipe smoking has gone down a lot. Mainly just smoke cigarettes to meet my nic fix. Then I tried about 6 months old Capt Black that was in my tobacco box. It was rather good. Had few more bowls and gave rest to my son since he got interested in pipe. Then suddenly, I'm getting this need to smoke Capt Black Royal. It's like not having Chinese food for a month and getting MSG withdrawal. So ordered 4 pouches. But it's not getting here fast enough! (Ordered it yesterday.)

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It's not just any OTC codger blands. I have others in the house. Specifically Capt Black Royal I'm craving. Been lazy and my pipe smoking has gone down a lot. Mainly just smoke cigarettes to meet my nic fix. Then I tried about 6 months old Capt Black that was in my tobacco box. It was rather good. Had few more bowls and gave rest to my son since he got interested in pipe. Then suddenly, I'm getting this need to smoke Capt Black Royal. It's like not having Chinese food for a month and getting MSG withdrawal. So ordered 4 pouches. But it's not getting here fast enough! (Ordered it yesterday.)
The term "tobacco box" I'm sure isn't as exciting as I'm thinking?
Like a tote that you keep your different tobaccos in? Or some center table style gold inlayed wooden tobacco humidor style box?

Inquiring minds and all...

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
To be honest, I personally feel like Grousemoor barely fits inside the box as an Aro, because when I’ve compared it against Esoterica Dorchester or Dunbar, it was somewhat similar, in the profile.

Grousemoor is very VA forward, with many of the typical VA notes, that has a light flavor, fruit/lemon/citrus, tea herbal like notes going on, but very soft, and extremely complimentary to the VAs, almost like they are a part of the VA profile.

So if you like Lemon Tea, a tea drinker, Summer Beers/Ales, etc., this should be right in your wheel house

This is how it was for a new batch 2020/2021, I can’t speak for any other years, and it’s absolutely amazing.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
@bullet08 Captain Black Royal (Blue pouch) is the same as Lane 1-Q in bulk, and the bulk 1-Q is generally cheaper. I verified this with Lane years ago (as have others). Many say the bulk is better as it is said to have less PG than the pouches.

@STP FYI, Capt Black White is Lane RLP-6 in bulk.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I have both Dorchester and Dunbar, so I’m aware, but they are both listed as VaPers with no flavors/toppings.

Whereas Grousemoor is a VA listed with flavors/toppings, but as an Aro. Again, I can only speak for the latest years, that between Dorchester and Dunbar, in respect to toppings, Grousemoor isn’t very different, that I see it actually as an Aro, when compared to typical Aros. I see it closer to being more Esoterica like with flavors.

Reactions: kurtbob

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have both Dorchester and Dunbar, so I’m aware, but they are both listed as VaPers with no flavors/toppings.
Excluding Margate and Penzance, most if not all if Esoterica's tobaccos are semi to full blown aromatic, those two included.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m certainly not the Esoterica pro, but for whatever reason, Hastings, Kingsbridge, Ramsgate, St. Ives, and Woodbridge, are the only ones mentioned as Aros.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Sorry, don’t mean to get off topic here, anyone have any reasons as to why many of the Esoterica blends that aren’t listed Aros should of been? 🤔

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Captain Black Royal is damn good. A lot of people say its just packaged 1Q but I've noticed the liquor topping is a a lot more noticeable in Royal...and the cut is better.
it might just be us. But 1Q just never tasted any where as rich to me. Or as you say I've never noticed that same liquor quality. Then again it's been ages since I've tried 1Q so....