How Can I Repair Chips on a Peterson Ebony?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Kirklands

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2023
Title edited for caps. Please read Rule.

I recently purchased this Sherlock Holmes with the ebony finish. How might I go about repairing the chips in the finish?
IMG_20240412_094957.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
You’ll get better advice from others but if it was my pipe, I’d strip it back to bare wood & repaint it. Either that or leave it as it is.

Reactions: Kirklands and Zero

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I had wondered what process was used to produce the finish. Nice to know. Thanks.
I believe I read that the ebony stummels need to be virtually free of grain and birdseye (blond briar) and blemishes so that the 7 coats of lacquer can be applied properly. But you can check this on the Peterson site I suppose or Peterson Pipe Notes.

• Haha
Reactions: AJL67

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Reactions: Hillcrest

Kirklands

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2023
Here you go:
Very informative article. Stain and Danish oil sound like a possibility, although I think it would be difficult to get it smoothed and polished such as to blend with the rest of the finish. THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR IMPUT! At this point I'm inclined to either use a magic marker or go the stain and Danish oil route.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Very informative article. Stain and Danish oil sound like a possibility, although I think it would be difficult to get it smoothed and polished such as to blend with the rest of the finish. THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR IMPUT! At this point I'm inclined to either use a magic marker or go the stain and Danish oil route.
For me it would depend on if its a collectible or a smoker; the danish oil and stain seems to be an investment in time and effort. If its a daily smoker then only I need to be satisfied. On my Vauen Olaf black sandblast some of the finish didn't adhere inside some of the pits and wore off around the rim ... a fine point marker took care of the problem in a few minutes to my satisfaction for a daily smoker. Same with my Pete Pub pipe ... I filled a pit because I didn't want it to get any larger ... after staining I used a black marker to blend it to match the rest of the darker areas. I can see it because I know its there but it would require close examination for another to find. As others have said you can always refinish the pipe if you are looking for a project. Somewhere in between is probably the way to go. Non-experts who don't know pipes aren't going to notice.

Reactions: Kirklands and Zero