Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I have a few old Dr. Grabow pipes and they're great smokers.. as many pipes can be.

I'm sure there's nothing special about them really.. we're not talking about a 3 Star Lee here, but when made well they smoke good enough.

I really appreciate the stem material. It's made from a softer plastic. No click clacking like you get from acrylic, and no oxidation like you get from vulcanite. Oxidation can mess up flavor, and flavor is the prize in this game.

I went to buy a new one a couple of years ago and to my surprise there was no way to pick the shape.. and many of them had some kind of leaf design carved or burned into some random place on the pipe. A random design carved into a random pipe, and you get no say in which pipe you pick.

So I thought.. Smokingpipes.com! They'll have a sensible take on the situation. The pipe pictured is the pipe you get.. you can scroll through the factory pipes and pick out the best looking grain of the bunch.

But, it turns out that even Smokingpipes had a disclaimer saying that you'll just get any random pipe... if you order a Grabow.

I think the place I finally decided to roll the dice on was Tobaccopipes.. Theirs were a few bucks cheaper. Got the pipe and it was the shape I wanted.. basically a regular billiard with a smooth finish. I believe it was a Royal Duke.

Alas, the shank was cracked and the pipe leaked at the stem due to the crack and I just couldn't live with it.. So I threw it away.

People said glue it.. and I did. But that's ragged shit. Ha! walking around smoking a glued Dr. Grabow that you just bought.. like a sucker, a chump, or some kind of trick.

I complained to Tobaccopipes and Dr. Grabow.. They didn't tell me to go kick rocks, but they didn't tell me not to either. I was pretty disappointed with the whole ordeal. Nothing was ever done to make it right.

2 years later I'm ready to give er another shot.

So my question is... Where can I buy a new Grabow and have the opportunity to pick out the shape, like a dignified person?

This is the pipe I want to buy:
71bkBvxrl7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
View attachment 161480

at least you could return it for any reason here, did you look for your exact shape but good chance they have it

If you read the reviews on that listing you'll most likely see that people received random pipes. It might even give this warning in the details.

Some of those reviews say they didn't care about the shape so they gave a good rating anyway..

Reactions: logs and AJL67
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
WV Smokeshop carries Dr. Grabow pipes and they list them separately by model and its variant (rusticated, smooth, etc.)

I’ve only bought from them once (to score the discontinued Captain Black Grape which became virtually impossible to find), but, I had no problem with the order.

This looks like the pipe. No disclaimer that I can see about shape and carving. They the best selection I've seen.

Thanks!

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Looks like they still have some Grape too.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Good luck with the pipe! It bodes well that they have all of the separate variants listed.

When I got the Captain Black Grape from them, it was still available as a tub. They sell it by one ounce bags now. I wonder if they just opened up the remaining tubs to sell small amounts (at a greater profit margin). Some might consider the one ounce bag a lifetime supply.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Good question and I too am stealing some of the response info here. I'm also thinking a quick phone call to Smokingpipes from a regular customer followed by the emailed picture might be able to yield the desired model. No experience on that or Grabows specifically, but I've had good service and communication above and beyond basic online purchase.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Good question and I too am stealing some of the response info here. I'm also thinking a quick phone call to Smokingpipes from a regular customer followed by the emailed picture might be able to yield the desired model. No experience on that or Grabows specifically, but I've had good service and communication above and beyond basic online purchase.
SmokingPipes used to provide additional pictures on request, but that hasn't been the case for the past year or two since they have apparently temporarily moved the location of their reps and the stock.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

This looks like the pipe. No disclaimer that I can see about shape and carving. They the best selection I've seen.

Thanks!
Yes these guys are great. Also my favorite Grabow shape. The Grand Duke. The same one I smoked for an entire year. I also like Grabows for the same reason as you. I think I actually ordered mine from Amazon.
You are right though. I ordered one from some other vendor, and ended up getting something I would never buy. Wvsmokeshop has been a favorite vendor of mine for many years. A little secret hole in the wall.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have a few old Dr. Grabow pipes and they're great smokers.. as many pipes can be.

I'm sure there's nothing special about them really.. we're not talking about a 3 Star Lee here, but when made well they smoke good enough.

I really appreciate the stem material. It's made from a softer plastic. No click clacking like you get from acrylic, and no oxidation like you get from vulcanite. Oxidation can mess up flavor, and flavor is the prize in this game.

I went to buy a new one a couple of years ago and to my surprise there was no way to pick the shape.. and many of them had some kind of leaf design carved or burned into some random place on the pipe. A random design carved into a random pipe, and you get no say in which pipe you pick.

So I thought.. Smokingpipes.com! They'll have a sensible take on the situation. The pipe pictured is the pipe you get.. you can scroll through the factory pipes and pick out the best looking grain of the bunch.

But, it turns out that even Smokingpipes had a disclaimer saying that you'll just get any random pipe... if you order a Grabow.

I think the place I finally decided to roll the dice on was Tobaccopipes.. Theirs were a few bucks cheaper. Got the pipe and it was the shape I wanted.. basically a regular billiard with a smooth finish. I believe it was a Royal Duke.

Alas, the shank was cracked and the pipe leaked at the stem due to the crack and I just couldn't live with it.. So I threw it away.

People said glue it.. and I did. But that's ragged shit. Ha! walking around smoking a glued Dr. Grabow that you just bought.. like a sucker, a chump, or some kind of trick.

I complained to Tobaccopipes and Dr. Grabow.. They didn't tell me to go kick rocks, but they didn't tell me not to either. I was pretty disappointed with the whole ordeal. Nothing was ever done to make it right.

2 years later I'm ready to give er another shot.

So my question is... Where can I buy a new Grabow and have the opportunity to pick out the shape, like a dignified person?

This is the pipe I want to buy:
View attachment 161469
Go to a huge drugstore and pick one out.

By the way, every Lee was a custom order, from a catalog.

Pick a shape, pick a stain (natural or tan only for Four Stars natural only for Five Stars) and send money.

For a Briar Lee, then send money and Lee picked your shape.

Impressed yet, by Lee?

He competed against an ocean of good pipes on racks in every corner drugstore.

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

Pick a shape, pick a stain (natural or tan only for Four Stars natural only for Five Stars) and send money.

But he's talking about current Grabows, not Lees from 50 years ago! Let's keep this on topic!

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

No huge drugstore here.. Unless you count Wal-mart.

I just don't think I'm skilled enough to smoke one of those Lees.