PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
No huge drugstore here.. Unless you count Wal-mart.

I just don't think I'm skilled enough to smoke one of those Lees.
You’ll learn quick enough.

I own several Dr Grabow pipes I bought used over the internet.

One old large Dublin Grand Duke woth a screw stem has better grain than my Five Star Lee or any other Lee I own, for that matter.

Have you considered the selection on eBay?

During the fifties and sixties Grabow made and sold ten dollar pipes to compete with Lees.

414B4822-A341-44AD-AC7C-7752F8698FA9.png

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a few old Dr. Grabow pipes and they're great smokers.. as many pipes can be.

I'm sure there's nothing special about them really.. we're not talking about a 3 Star Lee here, but when made well they smoke good enough.

I really appreciate the stem material. It's made from a softer plastic. No click clacking like you get from acrylic, and no oxidation like you get from vulcanite. Oxidation can mess up flavor, and flavor is the prize in this game.

I went to buy a new one a couple of years ago and to my surprise there was no way to pick the shape.. and many of them had some kind of leaf design carved or burned into some random place on the pipe. A random design carved into a random pipe, and you get no say in which pipe you pick.

So I thought.. Smokingpipes.com! They'll have a sensible take on the situation. The pipe pictured is the pipe you get.. you can scroll through the factory pipes and pick out the best looking grain of the bunch.

But, it turns out that even Smokingpipes had a disclaimer saying that you'll just get any random pipe... if you order a Grabow.

I think the place I finally decided to roll the dice on was Tobaccopipes.. Theirs were a few bucks cheaper. Got the pipe and it was the shape I wanted.. basically a regular billiard with a smooth finish. I believe it was a Royal Duke.

Alas, the shank was cracked and the pipe leaked at the stem due to the crack and I just couldn't live with it.. So I threw it away.

People said glue it.. and I did. But that's ragged shit. Ha! walking around smoking a glued Dr. Grabow that you just bought.. like a sucker, a chump, or some kind of trick.

I complained to Tobaccopipes and Dr. Grabow.. They didn't tell me to go kick rocks, but they didn't tell me not to either. I was pretty disappointed with the whole ordeal. Nothing was ever done to make it right.

2 years later I'm ready to give er another shot.

So my question is... Where can I buy a new Grabow and have the opportunity to pick out the shape, like a dignified person?

This is the pipe I want to buy:
View attachment 161469
The new ones are bad. The few I've bought in the past 10 years have an issue with the metal tenon chewing up the mortise. The ones I bought in the '90s never did that.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In the beginning, there was the first briar pipe.

Legend has it that first one was carved for a nobleman who’d dropped his meerschaum.

And it likely was a billiard.

The difference in cost to make a White Spot and White Spade Billiard is very little for raw materials and more for City of London than South Carolina labor.

D12DFB3A-88EE-43C5-851F-4634B6F20589.jpegThis was a $10 grade Dr Grabow about the time I was born in 1958, give or take a few years.

It might be my fanciest grained pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Marketing is not Dr. Grabow's strong point, but I think most people get more than their money's worth out of a Dr. G. My favorite Dr. Grabow pipe is the Royalton bulldog, without bead lines. They disappeared from the market for about a year or two, and now they're back; maybe someone who did them retired, and someone else learned the shape.

Drugstores carry the brand, but usually only a few, not much selection, and they may be hidden behind check-out down near the floor. Many B&M stores don't carry them, probably because there isn't enough profit margin.

I've used wvtobaccoshop several times. They also have a moving inventory of Kaywoodie pipes which have impressed me with their cool burning relatively thin walled pipes that are handsome and good smokers, and in the Saxon and Red Root and other lines, moderately priced. Also light weight but with fair sized chambers.

It's impressive how much pipe you can buy for under 50 USD.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
You’ll learn quick enough.

I own several Dr Grabow pipes I bought used over the internet.

One old large Dublin Grand Duke woth a screw stem has better grain than my Five Star Lee or any other Lee I own, for that matter.

Have you considered the selection on eBay?

During the fifties and sixties Grabow made and sold ten dollar pipes to compete with Lees.

View attachment 161524

I have a few older ones. I just wanted the opportunity to break in a new one.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
You know you're dealing with a class act when you can't even choose the shape of the pipe you want. Why the f*** anyone would want one is beyond me. Get a pipe kit, carve your shape, and be happy.

I'm no artist my friend.. I'm not carving any pipes.

I do realize there are better or equal pipes for the money.

It's really the retailers who are making it impossible to pick your shape.

WVsmokeshop gives a damn enough to sort it out.. the rest do not.

Have you ever smoked a Grabow? The stem is unique and quite comfortable.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
The new ones are bad. The few I've bought in the past 10 years have an issue with the metal tenon chewing up the mortise. The ones I bought in the '90s never did that.

Yep.. It's a shit design. That's basically what was wrong with the last one I had, I think they had forced the tenon in at the factory and cracked the pipe.

I figure if I get one in good working order I'll just never take the stem off.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I run a very pointed diamond tool along the two grooves in the aluminum tenon and this prevents it from boring out the mortise ,my friend. I have no problem as a result.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Marketing is not Dr. Grabow's strong point, but I think most people get more than their money's worth out of a Dr. G. My favorite Dr. Grabow pipe is the Royalton bulldog, without bead lines. They disappeared from the market for about a year or two, and now they're back; maybe someone who did them retired, and someone else learned the shape.

Drugstores carry the brand, but usually only a few, not much selection, and they may be hidden behind check-out down near the floor. Many B&M stores don't carry them, probably because there isn't enough profit margin.

I've used wvtobaccoshop several times. They also have a moving inventory of Kaywoodie pipes which have impressed me with their cool burning relatively thin walled pipes that are handsome and good smokers, and in the Saxon and Red Root and other lines, moderately priced. Also light weight but with fair sized chambers.

It's impressive how much pipe you can buy for under 50 USD.
I'm with you. Very astute recommendation!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Yep.. It's a shit design. That's basically what was wrong with the last one I had, I think they had forced the tenon in at the factory and cracked the pipe.

I figure if I get one in good working order I'll just never take the stem off.
Why the f... are we allowing ourselves to be more critical of a 40 dollar pipe than we'd be of a high end pipe? Sometimes this forum pisses me off with members badmouthing pipes that are affordable for those of us with limited resources. After all, it's really about the tobacco. Rant over!!

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Why the f... are we allowing ourselves to be more critical of a 40 dollar pipe than we'd be of a high end pipe? Sometimes this forum pisses me off with members badmouthing pipes that are affordable for those of us with limited resources. After all, it's really about the tobacco. Rant over!!

I hate to sound like I was bad mouthing.. That's not my intention.

I just can't figure out why they didn't make the damned tenon out of plastic!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I hate to sound like I was bad mouthing.. That's not my intention.

I just can't figure out why they didn't make the damned tenon out of plastic!
I probably overdid the bourbon, but I think Grabow does a reasonable job what with the quality of labor these days. I have been smoking Grabows since 1972 or so, and have found them, with a very few exceptions, to deliver a good smoke for the money. And money has been an issue for me and not a few pipe smokers. So, I apologize for my aggressive response, but shit, I think we need to support those that give us reasonable, and affordable tools for burning our favorite blends! Certainly no offense intended and I'm glad to see you back and posting.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Filter sales are what keeps the lights on at Sparta. They don't advertise per agreement with distributors but you can buy direct from them, and they still offer restemming pipes for like $12 or something. If you're on a real budget they can be accomnodating. That said I'm partial to the older ones but have them all.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm no artist my friend.. I'm not carving any pipes.

I do realize there are better or equal pipes for the money.

It's really the retailers who are making it impossible to pick your shape.

WVsmokeshop gives a damn enough to sort it out.. the rest do not.

Have you ever smoked a Grabow? The stem is unique and quite comfortable.
I wholeheartedly agree. It's soft like vulcanite, without the oxidation.