PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Every time I have been in the Grabow building they have a box of shipments ready to be picked up by the mail man. Not sure if people phone orders in or mail order direct off the webpage. It’s an outdated business model with a huge need of a marketing update but it still works I guess.

With some reasonable promotion and a website update allowing easier purchase ala’ any modern web based commercial service they could greatly boost revenue IMO.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Every time I have been in the Grabow building they have a box of shipments ready to be picked up by the mail man. Not sure if people phone orders in or mail order direct off the webpage. It’s an outdated business model with a huge need of a marketing update but it still works I guess.

With some reasonable promotion and a website update allowing easier purchase ala’ any modern web based commercial service they could greatly boost revenue IMO.
Do they still make the eagles?

Reactions: theloniousmonkfish

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Do they still make the eagles?
I don’t remember off the top of my head. Next time I’m over I’ll look. They have a wall of current shapes and then a wall of historical and out of production pipes for sale… think the 1812 and Utah/Omaha ‘44 line as well as many others that you may not have seen or heard of for a while.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Damn right.

There's a guy here on the forum, a Canadian who collects them.
This is from Tom(ted), former COO of Grabow, regarding what became of them

"These color pipes kept the factory busy for almost 10 years and generated a lot of profit for our little company.
The demand had gone away by 1980, but as a effort to resurrect color we made the white Viscount with the Olympic Logo for 1980. That was the last 'burst' for color pipes.
US Tobacco allowed us 'write off' excess inventory in 1984 or 85 and we buried over $100,000 dollars of inventory of color pipes in the sawdust pile at the old factory.

Imagine what archelogists will think in 500 years!
So.... One of my all time favorite pipes was a red Viscount #47, and I thank those colors for giving us 10 years of great sales.. (BTW Color Pipes put us ahead of KYM in sales and profit.. We became #1).
Do I like them? I owe the a lot.... ted"

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
reminds me of something I've been getting lately. Which is I don't see pipe smokers but the younger college students have been asking me serious questions about pipes and pipe smoking. Where to get it how to do it. Weirdly ones that have never had interest in cig smokers. Hopefully it's not just a weird thing but something that actually indicates more interest in pipes growing a little bit. Just something this conversation makes me think about. But it's been happening somewhat regularly.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
reminds me of something I've been getting lately. Which is I don't see pipe smokers but the younger college students have been asking me serious questions about pipes and pipe smoking. Where to get it how to do it. Weirdly ones that have never had interest in cig smokers. Hopefully it's not just a weird thing but something that actually indicates more interest in pipes growing a little bit. Just something this conversation makes me think about. But it's been happening somewhat regularly.

Encourage them.. Tell em chicks dig it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Encourage them.. Tell em chicks dig it.
Tell him the highest and best kind of young woman adores a pipe smoking man.

Right this very minute is a long legged college girl sitting on a bench somewhere, she’s as smart as she is pretty, and she reaches in her purse for a long menthol slim cigarette.

What she wants is to smell a college boy’s pipe, and have him light her smoke.

With his Zippo.