PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Probably the wrong forum, so mods please move if necessary.

I don't have much bulk tobacco, just 3 pouches worth of maybe 60g in each. I'm looking to sell it, but have no idea how to price the stuff. Any pointers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Given you are in Canada, and provided it has been stored well, I’d start with B&M prices and then multiply by the percentage of arsehole you are. To determine this you need selective polling. I suggest starting a thread here and then finding the mean between these results, how you rate yourself and how your wife rates you. Som besths

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
percentage of arsehole you are. . . I suggest starting a thread here

My delicate emotional state could not stand that kind of brutal honesty.

Som besths

Som Besths to you as well good sir.

Canadian law prohibits the secondary sale of tobacco products by individuals. It must be exported to the US, similar to other toxic materials like Justin Bieber and Jim Carrey.

I will ship to Outer Slabovia, just need to know what to price it at LOL

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Given you are in Canada, and provided it has been stored well, I’d start with B&M prices and then multiply by the percentage of arsehole you are. To determine this you need selective polling. I suggest starting a thread here and then finding the mean between these results, how you rate yourself and how your wife rates you. Som besths
1705977707377.gif
☕

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
I posted about 5 oz recently of opened/bulk blends for $25, no takers. Now down to $15, so that is $3 an ounce. Nothing extravagant and no unicorn blends. But no takers so maybe that is still too high or the blends are too mundane as they dont start with Mc, Es, or Germ.

Reactions: PaulRVA

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
How long is a piece of string?

What blends are you selling, how old are they and how have they been kept?
Black Frigate from 2016, McBaren Navy Flake from 2018, and S. G. commonwealth from 2015 or 2016.

All stored in mylar out of the elements.

I'd start at market plus 100%. It will give you room to negotiate
Like when I see used cars for sale at a million dollars or best offer

Reactions: FLDRD and PaulRVA

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Jarred tobacco transactions are tricky and require a leap of faith on the part of the buyer. I’ve always thought it’s a bit like buying wine that’s been decanted and poured into a mason jar. How do you know it is what the seller says it is? So obviously much depends on the reputation of the seller and the risk profile of the buyer.

Having said that, I think you can bifurcate the problem into two parts: selling blends that are still pretty readily available from retailers and selling those that are scarce; either in production but very difficult to obtain (think Esoterica), or out of production entirely (think McClelland and every unicorn you’ve ever heard of).

For the readily available blends as a general rule I’d assume most sales take place at a large-ish discount to what a retailer charges, with aged tobacco perhaps receiving a smaller discount. Why? Because the buyer always has the alternative of getting guaranteed product from a retailer, perhaps with free shipping if the purchase is large enough. Resellers have to offer a big enough discount to persuade the buyer it’s worth it to buy unverified tobacco from them.

For the out of production stuff once again I’ll parse the question into two pieces: tobaccos that were available in tins and tobaccos that were only or mostly available in bulk (think 5100, 2015, etc). For the former again the buyer is purchasing something unverified that he could buy verified if he was willing (and able) to buy a tin instead, in which case the question of authenticity is addressed. So I would again expect a discount to the current market price (not retail, but some blended average of Pipestud and TinBids) of tinned product. Here the discount might be a bit smaller because of scarcity and the volatility of the secondary market.

Finally, as for tobaccos that were only, or even primarily, offered in bulk (McClelland is the prime example here, perhaps along with a few others, eg Motzek Strang, Comoy casks, etc) pricing is much higher despite the uncertainty because these tobaccos tend to be very rarely offered. In most cases they were either originally often considered as blending components and used as such, or always occupied a very niche position in the US market (ie the volume sold here was, relatively speaking, negligible). In both cases the amount lying around today is small.

And note that for this last category the issue of trust is mitigated by the simple fact that the buyer has no alternative. These were bulk blends ab ovo; if you want them you accept that fact as a condition of your search and understand your only option is to buy unlabeled tobacco. Your best and only guarantee is your assessment of the seller’s reputation. In such cases where demand is high and supply low tobacco is priced accordingly, typically at a multiple of the original cost, just like Esoterica.

Black Frigate from 2016, McBaren Navy Flake from 2018, and S. G. commonwealth from 2015 or 2016.

All stored in mylar out of the elements.
Jarred tobacco transactions are tricky and require a leap of faith on the part of the buyer.
I would be doubley hesitant about buying tobacco in jars (or bags), not knowing whether they were actually kept sealed. Were the containers kept at 65-70F the entire time? etc... So many people talk about dipping into jars that they assume are aging. I would be quadrupley hesitant about buying jars (or bags) of tobacco that originally came in tins.
That all said, by some recent posts, people are buying these bulks. I can't really help with pricing, because by my estimation, you just stored them, and since how they were kept is questionable, how much of a warehouse fee can you really charge? But, there seems to be a numbskull factor these day, where people seem to be buying just about anything at any price. So... the market seems to be f'd up. Would we call this a sucker's market?

Reactions: kcghost and PaulRVA

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Motzek Strang

Speaking of Motzek Strang, I just tried it for the first time, thanks to the generosity of @alan73. Fascinating and savory tobacco. I can't think of anything I'd compare it to.

The biggest surprise to me was how my family raved about the room note. Typically they rave about the room note of tobaccos that taste lighter to me -- but scrunch their noses at tobaccos that taste this heavy. Really interesting.

Reactions: alan73