PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lucro

Lurker
Apr 27, 2024
Pittsburgh, PA
Fellow new piper here. I recently made a trip out to Boswell’s and met Mr. JM himself. I was talking to him about his blends and where I was in my journey. He suggested I grab some English Biscuit. I finally tried it last night and wow was it a winner. I would recommend it and Piper’s Pleasure as a great Boswell aromatic.

Manawydan

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2024
Fellow new piper here. I recently made a trip out to Boswell’s and met Mr. JM himself. I was talking to him about his blends and where I was in my journey. He suggested I grab some English Biscuit. I finally tried it last night and wow was it a winner. I would recommend it and Piper’s Pleasure as a great Boswell aromatic.
Welcome, and thanks for the recommendation. I'd sure like to visit his shop in person some day. Just bought one of his pipes -- really beautiful work. I've tried his Northwoods and Boswell's Best -- both great.

Manawydan

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2024
Nicely written, sir. I agree with @AroEnglish. please tell us your story.

I look forward to hearing about your experience with 9mm activated charcoal filters if you end up trying them in that pipe on its way to you.
Thank you -- I'll definitely be sharing more over time.

Unfortunately the Stanwell HCA was listed as being 9mm filter-capable, but actually isn't. Not sure if they sent the wrong one, or whether it was just mislabeled. So at this moment I don't have any 9mm filtered pipes.

My pipe collection is growing, however. I received the Boswell Elegant Swirl Nose-Warmer (has its own NPD thread), and decided to order a couple pipes from Missouri Meerschaum. And then I found what at least visually is my dream pipe from Mark Tinsky. I have got "PAD" bad. :)

Lucro

Lurker
Apr 27, 2024
Pittsburgh, PA
Welcome, and thanks for the recommendation. I'd sure like to visit his shop in person some day. Just bought one of his pipes -- really beautiful work. I've tried his Northwoods and Boswell's Best -- both great.
My Boswell pipe (grabbed it during my visit) draws so nice. I’m used to filtered cobs so the lack of filter and open draw I can get some heavy smoke if I’m not careful. For me, it’s an amazing sipper if I’m more careful. I can draw a lot of flavor. If you haven’t tried your pipe yet, you’re in for a treat. Let us know your thoughts, please.

Attachments

• IMG_7166.jpeg
    IMG_7166.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7168.jpeg
    IMG_7168.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7167.jpeg
    IMG_7167.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Manawydan

Manawydan

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2024
My Boswell pipe (grabbed it during my visit) draws so nice. I’m used to filtered cobs so the lack of filter and open draw I can get some heavy smoke if I’m not careful. For me, it’s an amazing sipper if I’m more careful. I can draw a lot of flavor. If you haven’t tried your pipe yet, you’re in for a treat. Let us know your thoughts, please.
Oh that's a beauty! Love the combination carved finish! Well done.

I plan to have the inaugural smoke this evening and will definitely share. Unless I decide on an aprés-lunch smoke!

• Love
Reactions: Lucro

Fuelman

Might Stick Around
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana
Greetings Pipers! I am in a particularly contemplative mood, having had a nice meal and then a fine bowl of Nightcap in my Savinelli 606 bent apple alligator pipe while sitting under my orange tree, and thought I'd share what I've noted so far in this early stage of my pipe-smoking journey...

Please note that I am definitely new to all of this, I am learning like the rest of you, and I don't expect my ramblings to be specifically helpful. But on the off-chance they are (or at least are moderately entertaining), here goes:

So for starters, I *love* pipe smoking. I love the ritual, the equipment, the meditative quality of smoking a pipe, the beauty and scuptural quality of pipes, the incredible variety of blends to explore, the warm and calm feeling I get, the camaraderie of other Pipers, collecting, and even the fussing over storage, cleaning, and general maintenance. I've enjoyed learning from various YouTube channels (especially Muttnchop Piper's channel), reading the threads in this forum, and exploring the rich and fulfilling world of pipe smoking in all of its many facets. Here are a few specific thoughts...

Preparation. A highly-anticipatory act to decide "I am about to smoke a pipe!" Followed by selecting a specific blend I am in the mood for and spreading a few pinches out on my leather mat. Feeling the loamy, earthy quality of the tobacco. The moisture content, the rich aroma. Selecting a specific pipe to enjoy it with -- I only have two (a third is on the way!). Setting it out along with a lighter and tamper.

Filling the Bowl. Sprinkling tobacco into the bowl of the pipe and gently nudging it into place. Not too tight. Not too loose. Feeling the springyness of the tobacco push back. Not forcing -- guiding. Slow. Methodical. Testing the draw -- as many say "like sipping a soda through a straw".

Char Light. Whether it is helpful or not, I like the process of the char-light. Gently singeing the very top of the packed tobacco allows me to get a sense of what I am about to enjoy. Brief glimpses of the burning leaf and wisps of smoke. It's like foreplay.

True Light. A couple slow deep draws under flame to create the heart of the smoke -- the ember. Watching it glow into life and create the rich billow of smoke that follows. Ahhh... genuine delight! This marks the real settling in to smoking the pipe for me. I settle back, take in my surroundings, and sigh with contentment.

Tamping. I think I still tamp more often than is required, but I enjoy fussing over my bowl. When I tamp I only do so very gently -- a light tap going around the inner rim of the bowl with the tamper, angled outward so the center of the ash is a bit higher than the edges. I don't try to push the ash/ember down into the tobacco below, I try to just even the top of it out.

Cadence. I have learned that cadence is a lot more than just how often I draw on the pipe stem. Of equal importance seems to be how slowly I actually draw. Without actually counting, I draw slowly enough that the full inhale into my mouth takes 3-4 seconds. I find that the bowl heats up much more slowly, the tobacco burns more evenly, and I don't have to puff as often to keep things going. As with all things related to pipe-smoking, slow and steady wins the race.

Re-Lighting. It isn't a mark of failure to have to re-light ones pipe. There are so many factors -- the dampness of the tobacco, the tightness of the pack, the shape and seasoning of the bowl, etc... I use these opportunities (on average for me, maybe 1/2 - 2/3 down the bowl) to pause, reflect, and then methodically re-light.

Finishing the Bowl. I started off worrying about 'finishing the bowl'. But the fact is that there are times when a half bowl or other fraction is just what I'm feeling in the moment. Maybe I've gotten all the nicotine hit I want in the moment, or maybe I am done sitting and want to move on to other things. I have learned not to judge myself in these moments. A small bit of unburned tobacco 'wasted' is not the end of the world. Letting it go is part of my acceptance and enjoyment of the process.

Here are some other random thoughts...

Clinching (or not). I am not a clincher -- at least not as of yet. I enjoy holding the pipe in my hand and drawing from it as I wish. Part of this is that I don't try to engage in other activities (so far) while smoking. So I don't need my hands free for anything else. I think this does help with less moisture while smoking, but don't have experience to back that up.

Filters. I currently own a Savinelli 606 bent apple 6mm filtered and a Peterson 999 bent Rhodesian unfiltered pipe. They are very different from each other, and I wouldn't use these two datapoints to extrapolate whether filtered or unfiltered is better for me. What I have learned so far is that the Savinelli *balsa* filters (as opposed to charcoal) seem to be very effective at absorbing and blocking moisture from the dottle in the bowl from the stem and my mouth. Without noticeably affecting the flavor of the blend I am enjoying. As a beginning Piper this has resulted in a much more enjoyable learning process for me. I have a third pipe on the way -- a Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen bent egg 9mm filtered with standard and churchwarden stems on the way, and have already ordered the Savinelli 9mm balsa filters to go with. I'll try it both ways and continue my journey of discovery.

Tobacco Blends. Wow. There is a plethora of blends out there! Having smoked cigars off and on for decades, the sheer variety of pipe tobacco blends has blown me away. I am having so much fun exploring the different types, learning to cellar, figuring out what I like, and stumbling onto new blends. What a world of wonder to explore!

If you've made it this far, I applaud your resolve. I also welcome your camaraderie and fellowship, look forward to reading your thoughts as you continue your own journey, and wish you happiness and peace.

Bonus Share: So far in my journey I've explored these tobaccos (in order of my preference within each type):
English: Petersons Nightcap, Tinderbox Sherlock's Choice, GL Pease Maltese Falcon
Balkan: Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Special Reserve, Balkan Sasieni
Virginia/Perique: GL Pease Haddo's Delight
Aromatic: Cult Blood Red Moon, CAO Eileen's Dream

I have Boswell's Northwoods and Best, Peterson Early Morning Pipe and Elizabethan Mixture, Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged, and STG Escudo Navy de Luxe on order or awaiting opening.
Very well written and informative, will there be a movie of this book you have written 😀. Just kidding. I too like smoking a pipe.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
What lengthy introduction. You spent easily as long on that as getting a pipe ready to smoke. You must have natural flair for writing. Very impressive! You are going to have a problem when you realized there are literally 1,000's of blends out there. A number of these blends are excellent. The problem is these blends vary from person to person.

Manawydan

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2024
What lengthy introduction. You spent easily as long on that as getting a pipe ready to smoke. You must have natural flair for writing. Very impressive! You are going to have a problem when you realized there are literally 1,000's of blends out there. A number of these blends are excellent. The problem is these blends vary from person to person.
Thank you kindly. I happily consider the vast array of blends to be more of an opportunity than problem. :) I am really having a great time trying them out and learning what I like.