PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jomil

Lurker
Aug 9, 2020
Yesterday I read an article reviewing MacB "Stockton" in "The Pipe Collector" mag, volumn 29, number 6. I have never tried "Stockton", but, even tho I have an unopened tin of it, was thinking about scrounging thru some of my jars of various bulk and throwing something together. Got out the scale to record my efforts in case I got lucky. What I ended up with smelled magnificent. I bought the components a few years ago because of the reviews. I will keep you posted as to the results as I plan to try the tobacco in a new Pete on Friday at our local Zoom pipe club meeting. The two kicker ingredients are Autumn Evening and Old Dark Fired. The base is 707 Sweet Virginia. Sounds interesting, huh?

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
I'll call what I do mixing rather than blending. I've done some of the 50-50 mixes that I've read about (1-Q/BCA; Gold Block/St Bruno Ready Rubbed) and liked the results. I've tried a few mixes on my own with tobaccos that I like and thought might mix well and have also been pleased with the results.

Reactions: Eye-level

jomil

Lurker
Aug 9, 2020
Yesterday I read an article reviewing MacB "Stockton" in "The Pipe Collector" mag, volumn 29, number 6. I have never tried "Stockton", but, even tho I have an unopened tin of it, was thinking about scrounging thru some of my jars of various bulk and throwing something together. Got out the scale to record my efforts in case I got lucky. What I ended up with smelled magnificent. I bought the components a few years ago because of the reviews. I will keep you posted as to the results as I plan to try the tobacco in a new Pete on Friday at our local Zoom pipe club meeting. The two kicker ingredients are Autumn Evening and Old Dark Fired. The base is 707 Sweet Virginia. Sounds interesting, huh?
A report on my home "mix" smoked today in a new Peterson Rusticated system spigot... Maple and smoke flavors and room note of the Autumn Evening and Old Dark Fired components were less apparent to a large extent. The 707 Sweet Virginia was forward as expected but had more depth and richness. Not aromatic in any way to my tastes...but very natural in a Virginia sweetness sort of way. This was a very successful effort. I'll be keeping the new Pete 303 system spigot and this new favorite mix together for some time... At least until I run out of my jarred AE and ODF.

Mix ratio if you want to try it is 3:1:1 (707:AE:ODF). I'm going to call it "Five Deuces" since I mixed it up on 2/22/22.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220223-014431.png
    Screenshot_20220223-014431.png
    275.9 KB · Views: 4

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
I smoke tobacco as the blender has originally intended it. Or as the German philosopher Johan Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) would say: "In der Beschränkung zeigt sich erst der Meister." Which reads in English: "Mastery is revealed in limitation." Besides I have too many blends already!